Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation temp probe  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Brewman5000

• 1st Kit
Fermentation temp probe
« on: June 25, 2019, 01:30:07 pm »
I bought a used GE beverage/wine cooler that constantly runs at the coldest temp so decided to put an inkbird on it and make it into a fermentation chamber.  My question is running the external probe to the inside, would I be fine to run it through the drain tube at the bottom? Trying to avoid drilling any holes. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Fermentation temp probe
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 02:02:00 pm »
My ferm chamber is a fridge with an Inkbird and I don't run it through anything.   I just let the rubber door seal close over the cable.  Same with the cord for the Fermwrap I use for heating.  Crude but effective, as long as the configuration of your door seal doesn't put too many kinks in it.   I did the same with the temp probe for my lagering chest freezer.   The only thing I've tidily run it through is my keezer, because I knew it was safe to drill through the collar.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Brewman5000

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 02:15:10 pm »
Awesome thanks I will do that. I wasnt too sure about leakage but I will definitely do that.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 03:10:42 pm »
I do the same as Robert. Works great as long as the door seal is decent.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline KCguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 06:59:45 am »
I do the same.  In fact, Ive found it necessary to vent the air in the chamber on a fairly constant basis, or else the humidity builds up and you get mold on the outside of your fermenter and inside surfaces of the chamber itself.  So additional holes wont really hurt much of anything, but you know to pay attention to that part of your brain that says dont drill a hole into that...:)
Drinkin Tripels, Seeing Double, Feelin Single...

Michael B
Kansas City

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 07:05:04 am »
I do the same.  In fact, Ive found it necessary to vent the air in the chamber on a fairly constant basis, or else the humidity builds up and you get mold on the outside of your fermenter and inside surfaces of the chamber itself.  So additional holes wont really hurt much of anything, but you know to pay attention to that part of your brain that says dont drill a hole into that...:)
For humidity in the chamber, DampRid works wonders!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.