Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Part BIAB Part All Grain, what you guy think?  (Read 1152 times)

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
Part BIAB Part All Grain, what you guy think?
« on: May 29, 2019, 08:45:26 am »
Hey folks, how been your brewing late?
First I don’t know if this is the right section on the forum or if another one already posted recently, but here I go.
Now when I was introduced in the Homebrewers worlds it was from the all grain method, but when I try several time I had problems, I don’t have a lot of money to create something to resolve my stuck problem, I already try bazooka, fake bottom and everything, with low cost, then I try BIAB, not the traditional one, because I use the BIAB and I do the sparge to get my rendiment higher. But what your guys think? I do This to try to get the most of the recipe. My production is of a 5 gallon.
Cheer folks

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Part BIAB Part All Grain, what you guy think?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 10:33:29 am »
I would call that Mash in a Bag. I brew this way and have good efficiency (mid 70’s) and cleanup is a lot easier. It works well for me.

If I read you correctly you are having a problem with stuck mashes. Probably a grind issue or grainbill issue more than equipment.  Have you tried rice hulls?
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 10:55:33 am »
The easiest way to BIAB if you have a big enough kettle is to do full a full volume mash. Then you won't have to worry about sparging. Just lift the bag out and squeeze all the remaining wort out then boil in the same kettle. Only one vessel to prep and only one vessel to clean afterward.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 04:28:15 pm »
I would call that Mash in a Bag. I brew this way and have good efficiency (mid 70’s) and cleanup is a lot easier. It works well for me.

If I read you correctly you are having a problem with stuck mashes. Probably a grind issue or grainbill issue more than equipment.  Have you tried rice hulls?

I live in Brasil, is not easy to find rice hulls, never found one place to buy from it, but I don´t know what is the problem, already try various grind size and nothing. And I have the same efficiency.

"The easiest way to BIAB if you have a big enough kettle is to do full a full volume mash. Then you won't have to worry about sparging. Just lift the bag out and squeeze all the remaining wort out then boil in the same kettle. Only one vessel to prep and only one vessel to clean afterward."
I trully don´t have problem with the clean up after, but I don´t know if would be better or not, never try this way

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 08:15:28 pm »
Once upon a time I did BIAB and would use a large strainer (colander) propped on the pot on one side and by my brew spoon on the other. I would do a simple sparge through it and then squeeze the bag to get the majority of the wort out. Worked fairly well.

What I use now is a water jug that I enlarged the spigot hole to accommodate the manifold. I bought the stainless mess screen for it and finally used it yesterday (I tried making one but it was horrible), and it worked quite well.

Might that be an option for you?

This is the stainless filter:

And this is my mash tun:

« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 08:18:07 pm by rodwha »

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 07:32:04 am »

"The easiest way to BIAB if you have a big enough kettle is to do full a full volume mash. Then you won't have to worry about sparging. Just lift the bag out and squeeze all the remaining wort out then boil in the same kettle. Only one vessel to prep and only one vessel to clean afterward."

I trully don´t have problem with the clean up after, but I don´t know if would be better or not, never try this way

Its the original way BIAB was designed. One vessel...full volume mash...pull the bag/squeeze... boil.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 08:18:03 am »
Once upon a time I did BIAB and would use a large strainer (colander) propped on the pot on one side and by my brew spoon on the other. I would do a simple sparge through it and then squeeze the bag to get the majority of the wort out. Worked fairly well.

What I use now is a water jug that I enlarged the spigot hole to accommodate the manifold. I bought the stainless mess screen for it and finally used it yesterday (I tried making one but it was horrible), and it worked quite well.

Might that be an option for you?

This is the stainless filter:

And this is my mash tun:

I´m now design my new to brew, get some idea from videos and forums, in late june I´m gonna be building, but this is actually a clever idea and my work for me

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 10:57:00 pm »
If BIAB or a modified BIAB works for you and you are happy with your beers then you should not change your process because somebody has convinced you that you must brew some other way.

However, if you wanted to look at fixing your mash tun problems then we would be happy to help but would need more information about your equipment and process to help diagnose.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Steve H

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 02:48:56 pm »
Mash in a bag is what I have settled into.  I started with extract, moved to BIAB, then settled into mash in a bag & batch sparging.  Full volume mashing was convenient with only the kettle but I had a hard time controlling my mash temperature over 60 or 90 minutes .  No matter how much i wrapped it, I always seemed to lose a lot of temperature.   

I mash in a cooler with a bag and I can maintain mash temperature much better now.  The bag prevents stuck sparges and cleaning the cooler is easy because the bag collects all the grain.