Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: wyeast thames valley II 1882 vs 1275  (Read 1404 times)

Offline GRIMREAPER

• Cellarman
wyeast thames valley II 1882 vs 1275
« on: July 06, 2019, 04:36:19 pm »
The 1882 was special a few years ago and i have no idea when it may come around again.  Is the 1275 pretty similar?  Never tried it before.  thanks..g

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: wyeast thames valley II 1882 vs 1275
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 05:23:30 pm »
The Thames Valley and Thames Valley II are supposedly descended from the two strains originally used as a mixed culture at the old Brakspear brewery in Henley.   I've used the 1275 and it is very crisp, clean, and neutral... it was probably the reliable attenuator in the blend, with the other one providing the character.  (The Brakspear brand has been sold on a couple of times since they shut down, no idea what yeast is currently used.  For a while one of the owners continued to use the dropping system, but I doubt there's any continuity now, if anyone is even still using the name.)  By the description, I suspect the White Labs Thames Valley (WLP030?) may be more closely related to the one you're after.  But it's a Vault strain too, so no real help there.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Online dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 09:08:03 am »
WLP030 does appear it may be a good match.  And the White Labs vault is being reopened, per some discussions like this one on HBT:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/wlp030-thames-valley-wlp515-antwerp-are-super-chicos.643337/page-2#post-8629461
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 10:59:39 am »
I've used it. Can't comment on the comparison question. I read some negative reviews of the strain online, which made me ambivalent about it, but the beer turned out good. I believe I used it in a dry stout.
Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.