Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Saq the Pious kit and older wlp530 packs  (Read 2578 times)

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Re: Saq the Pious kit and older wlp530 packs
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2019, 01:43:24 pm »
I really like to use yeastcalc dot com. That calculator hasn’t failed me yet.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not seeing that website...domain for sale it says?

edit - is this it?  http://www.yeastcalculator.com/yeastcalc.html
The calculator at Brewer's Friend is very similar in design, allowing you to plan several steps.  I haven't tried comparing how similar the results are.  Nor have I checked the documentation on the BF version to see if there's any ancestral relationship.

I think most calculators are unduly pessimistic about viability.   

The differences I spot right off with this and the BF calculator are that they offer options for different growth and aeration models, and BF also allows you to calculate based on dry yeast as well as liquid. 

Check 'em all out.  Thanks for pointing that one out, coolman.  That said, I don't think calculators are all that important, especially since were not really testing viability or doing cell counts.  Which may not be that important either.  But they can help you initially to develop a standard procedure of your own that you'll ultimately  make intuitive.   Like, hey, it seems this volume always works for this kind of beer, but maybe I'll add a bit more this time because it's winter... whatever works.
I agree with this ^^^

Jeff B

Offline KCguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2019, 02:19:54 pm »
That said, I don't think calculators are all that important... they can help you initially to develop a standard procedure of your own that you'll ultimately  make intuitive.   Like, hey, it seems this volume always works for this kind of beer, but maybe I'll add a bit more this time because it's winter... whatever works.

Thats exactly how I feel about this Robert, well said...and thanks all!
Drinkin Tripels, Seeing Double, Feelin Single...

Michael B
Kansas City

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2019, 02:30:12 pm »
That said, I don't think calculators are all that important... they can help you initially to develop a standard procedure of your own that you'll ultimately  make intuitive.   Like, hey, it seems this volume always works for this kind of beer, but maybe I'll add a bit more this time because it's winter... whatever works.

Thats exactly how I feel about this Robert, well said...and thanks all!

I haven't used a yeast calculator or stir plate in 2 years.    Not necessary.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2019, 09:33:41 pm »
planning to brew the Saq kit (its a Westy 12 clone) tomorrow and not sure how much yeast I should pitch. 5 gallon batch, OG 1.090. I have 3 packs of wlp530, all three manufactured back in Jan 2019. Mr Malty says the viability is around 10%, so I would need 11 packs with a starter on a stir plate. Obviously, Im not doing that, but curious what everyone thinks or if anyone has had experience pitching older WLP yeast?

I began the starter with one pack, then this morning, concerned I would be underpitching due to the age of the packs, I added a second. Should I add a third?
Stop using White Labs.  Their garbage to begin with, even fresh.  Total cell count might be 90mil in even the freshest packs.  Switch to wyeast or better still, Imperial.  If you use Imperial, no need for a starter.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2019, 06:19:23 am »

planning to brew the Saq kit (its a Westy 12 clone) tomorrow and not sure how much yeast I should pitch. 5 gallon batch, OG 1.090. I have 3 packs of wlp530, all three manufactured back in Jan 2019. Mr Malty says the viability is around 10%, so I would need 11 packs with a starter on a stir plate. Obviously, Im not doing that, but curious what everyone thinks or if anyone has had experience pitching older WLP yeast?

I began the starter with one pack, then this morning, concerned I would be underpitching due to the age of the packs, I added a second. Should I add a third?
Stop using White Labs.  Their garbage to begin with, even fresh.  Total cell count might be 90mil in even the freshest packs.  Switch to wyeast or better still, Imperial.  If you use Imperial, no need for a starter.

Good luck!

This is certainly not my experience.  Perhaps there's some mishandling in the chain of custody.  Try a different retailer.  I know my retailer gets White Labs and Wyeast in equally good condition.  I've come to prefer White Labs, though I'd still probably use Wyeast if convenience or strain availability dictated it.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2019, 07:03:40 am »

Good luck!

This is certainly not my experience.  Perhaps there's some mishandling in the chain of custody.  Try a different retailer.  I know my retailer gets White Labs and Wyeast in equally good condition.  I've come to prefer White Labs, though I'd still probably use Wyeast if convenience or strain availability dictated it.
I am the retailer

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2019, 07:17:14 am »

Good luck!

I am the retailer

Oops.  No offense intended.  Still could be something in the pipeline between them and you.  I'd think White Labs would want to know if their product was not getting to market in good condition.   All else being equal, I find no significant quality difference.   That said, if anyone is having consistent trouble with any given  brand, yeah, no brainer, switch to another.  So your advice may serve KCGuy well in his specific case.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2019, 07:22:42 am »

Good luck!

I am the retailer

Oops.  No offense intended.  Still could be something in the pipeline between them and you.  I'd think White Labs would want to know if their product was not getting to market in good condition.   All else being equal, I find no significant quality difference.   That said, if anyone is having consistent trouble with any given  brand, yeah, no brainer, switch to another.  So your advice may serve KCGuy well in his specific case.
None taken Robert!

I've seen the issues with them time and again, so I just stopped using them.  Like you said, no brainer.

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Offline KCguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2019, 08:17:29 am »

Im certainly wondering about their quality through my LHBS.  Hell, I had bought four wlp530 packs, and found one with a pinhole leak in the inner sleeve and the yeast had turned brown and useless.  Im very intrigued by the new yeasts, not having to mess with a starter sounds good too.  I'll check Imperial Loki out for my next belgian recipe. 
Drinkin Tripels, Seeing Double, Feelin Single...

Michael B
Kansas City

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2019, 08:32:13 am »

Good luck!

I am the retailer

None taken Robert!

I've seen the issues with them time and again, so I just stopped using them.  Like you said, no brainer.

Same here...we have 2 shops in town.  One used to carry only Wyeast m the other only White.  Now both are Wyeast only.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2019, 08:44:43 am »
I too prefer WY, but WL is what my local carries. When the weather cools down, I’ll go back to WY if needed. Most of the time I’m using harvested anyway. Given similar yeast strains in each, I almost always prefer the WY for some reason.

Jeff B