Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ground Beef Kabob (Koobideh)  (Read 5220 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Ground Beef Kabob (Koobideh)
« on: August 26, 2011, 10:38:07 am »
So I am bringing a bunch of kabob patties to my friend's surprise birthday party (skewers are too difficult with ground meat kabobs), and I was wondering what level of tumeric I should use. My mother is from Northern Iran, and that whole side of the family makes koobideh without any tumeric (just beef, onions, parsley, garlic, and sometimes fenugreek leaves). But I usually find restaurant kabob to have a noticeable amount of tumeric.

I realize I may be the only middle eastern person on this board, but I figure enough of you live in LA or NY or somewhere with good Persian restaurants... do you prefer kabob that is basically yellow from all the tumeric, or kabob that is basically hamburger-colored from a lack of tumeric?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Ground Beef Kabob (Koobideh)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 12:09:17 pm »
When I lived in Iran I don't remember them using tumeric for any kebabs. Why not try a side by side and take both to see which people prefer?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 04:20:32 pm »
I suspect it is a regional thing. I think in Tehran and Northern Iran (my family is from Rasht and Tehran), tumeric isn't used often, but that it is more common in other areas and in Afghanistan. Nevertheless, I like it with at least some tumeric, despite that not being how my grandmother made it... I ended up going with a lowish amount of tumeric (4 teaspoons for 5 lbs of beef) and everyone at the party loved it.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 12:47:55 am »
I suspect it is a regional thing. I think in Tehran and Northern Iran (my family is from Rasht and Tehran), tumeric isn't used often, but that it is more common in other areas and in Afghanistan. Nevertheless, I like it with at least some tumeric, despite that not being how my grandmother made it... I ended up going with a lowish amount of tumeric (4 teaspoons for 5 lbs of beef) and everyone at the party loved it.

I lived in the south and never made as far north as Tehran. Ahwaz. I think there were a lot of Arabs there too. Food rocked.

Did you use onion in the mix for the patties? I believe part of the prep of the kebabs is that you wring out the minced onion first to remove the liquid and then add plenty of fat to make the meat stick to the skewers. And a big mound of rice to serve it on. Maybe a raw egg or two... mmmm...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 02:48:17 am »

I lived in the south and never made as far north as Tehran. Ahwaz. I think there were a lot of Arabs there too. Food rocked.

Did you use onion in the mix for the patties? I believe part of the prep of the kebabs is that you wring out the minced onion first to remove the liquid and then add plenty of fat to make the meat stick to the skewers. And a big mound of rice to serve it on. Maybe a raw egg or two... mmmm...

Ahhh, I had forgotten about these. Are they related to kibbeh? I think my favorite of all this is Polo - I can eat that by itself. If you ask me the tumeric is less important than the sumac, but I know it can be hard to find in the US. I do with Koofteh what I do with Kibbeh, which is dump in the za'atar (like 2 tbsp for four people) and 1 tsp tumeric.

Can you get zereshk? I have no idea where to find it in Paris...

Edit to say (it being 30 August):
!عيد مبارك

And now I want to make Baklava... mmmm... http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/baklava_80243
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 02:52:43 am by phillamb168 »
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 11:15:09 am »
You can get sumac here:
http://www.worldspice.com/spices/sumac

They don't list zereshk, but maybe they can get it.  I love this shop, but it's actually faster/easier/cheaper for me to buy from them online and have them mail it to me than it is for me to drive there and pay for parking.  It's only a few miles from work, but it's downtown Seattle by the market.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 11:44:14 am »
I wonder if sumac would be good in a beer?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 11:52:58 am »
I think a sumac wit sounds nice. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 01:34:26 pm »
I wonder if sumac would be good in a beer?
If it's the same sumac that grows all over the place (at least in VT where I grew up) it can be made into a refreshign summer beverage.

Just pick the bunches of berries after it's been dry for a couple of days (the rain washes the flavour away to some extent) then soak in water. You probably want to run it through a strainer afterwards to remove bugs etc.

Tastes kind of like pink lemonade.
So yeah it would be good in a beer (My wife now just rolls her eyes everytime I say 'I wonder if xxx would be good in a beer)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 01:39:19 pm »
I have a thing of ground sumac I got from the Indian/mideast shop.  Still haven't gone and used it, yet.  It has a nice, although not terrifically pleasant smell, so I think I'd avoid using the powdered stuff for beer unless you love it.

Make sure not to use poison sumac!   ;D

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 01:43:22 pm »
http://www.countrysidemag.com/issues/87/87-4/Sam_Thayer.html

regardign sumac, sumac lemonade and poison sumac. (easy to find, delicious, and not really much of a concern respectivly)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline behnamkkk

• 1st Kit
  • dont miss one drop
    • saadatrent
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 03:14:43 am »
i think you can find amazing tips in this website about iran foods and tips:
https://www.saadatrent.com/english/c/iranian-food