Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kulmbacher mash method  (Read 1095 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Kulmbacher mash method
« on: June 30, 2019, 10:04:10 pm »
Has anyone here done a Kulmbacher Decoction Mash?  If so, any suggestions for one who may try it?

Though I’m in the dog days of Summer here in N AL, I am thinking of what I’ll be brewing for a Winter Warmer this year. As I’m sipping my Pale Ales and Pilsner style beers, I am thinking of something much darker, Black, a bit higher octane, but with some history and class behind it. So, I have begun looking at the Kulmbacher biers. Enter Ron Pattinson: http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2017/07/lets-brew-1879-kulmbacher-export.html

Thru Ron, I have discovered the Kulmbacher Decoction Method where the wort is vorlaufed until clear then lautered to a boil kettle, boiled, then all but a small portion of the wort is returned to the mash tun to step the mash temperature up.

This differs slightly from what I have discovered is the Münchener Decoction Method, which is what I normally think of as a decoction, where a portion of the thick mash (grain + wort) is pulled, boiled and added back to the mash. Which differs from a Bohemian and Augsburger Decoction Methods.

Also, in the Kulmbacher technique, the hops are added to the portion of the wort that is retained in the boil kettle, boiled for 10-12 minutes (hopfenrösten), then the wort is lautered and collected, stopping the rösten.

The resulting bier is a high ABV (within reason), hoppy, black, lager.

I searched the AHA forum and didn’t find any posts from those who’ve done a Kulmbacher style mash. Though it looks straight forward, I thought I could glean some information and pit falls to avoid if I decide to go this route.  One thing I am concerned about is the dark Munich converting. I may have to add some high DP brewers malt to help it along. Ron mentioned this in another article on the subject in Beer Advocate I think.

I may simply stick to my Hockhurz step mash via RIMS that I’ve been using.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 06:25:56 am by BrewBama »

Offline brian_welch

• Cellarman
  • Holden MA
Re: Kulmbacher mash method
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 10:37:55 pm »
I just got back from NHC and was thinking about beers that I might want to bring to Nashville next year and a Kulmbacher was at the top of my list. I haven’t brewed one yet and not sure I will follow the decoction steps exactly but I will definitely decoct this beer one way or another if I brew it.
Brian Welch
WIZARDS (Worcester Incorporated Zymurgists Advancing Real Draughts)

ON TAP:
Hefeweizen
West Coast Pils
German Pils
Altbier

ON DECK:
English Bitter
Dark Mild

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Kulmbacher mash method
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 05:24:34 am »
A local brewery whose owner likes to make historic beers did a Kolmbacher last year. I don't remember how he mashed, will try and remember to ask.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!