Author Topic: Web and Zymurgy Article Ideas for 2020  (Read 1234 times)

Offline snax

• 1st Kit
  • Dude, Where's My Brew?
Web and Zymurgy Article Ideas for 2020
« on: July 02, 2019, 04:57:47 AM »
The AHA welcomes input from members on homebrewing topics, blog ideas, article pitches, and anything else you would like to see covered on the AHA website or in Zymurgy for 2020.

Feel free to comment in this thread, or email the AHA Subcommittee directly at ahagc-content@brewersassociation.org.

Thank you!
Debbie "Snax" Cerda
Austin Zealots | Texas Carboys | Austin Homebrew Appreciation Society | Austin Women's Homebrew League
AHA Governing Committee 2012 - present | Diversity Subcommittee, Co-Chair  | Content & Resources Subcommittee

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Web and Zymurgy Article Ideas for 2020
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 03:46:41 PM »
Over in HBT and /r/homebrewing, there is recipe list ("NHC GOLD MEDAL HOMEBREW RECIPES 2004-2017") that is frequently mentioned when people ask about recipes or when they ask about how to learn more about beer styles. 

Currently, the site suffers from many broken links as the site links to recipes that were on the AHA wiki (wiki.homebrewersassociation.com).

Assuming that something 'frequently mentioned' is also valuable, would it be worthwhile to work towards replacing (or helping repair) this list?

I was very sorry to see the recipe wiki go, and argued for it's continued existence. Unfortunately, virtualkky how one used it and it was a large expense.  I what share your sentimentsof but I'm not sure what can be done.  Do you have any ideas we could work on?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 02:23:26 PM »
Do you have any ideas we could work on?

The "Gold Medal Recipes" page (link: http://www.alternativecommutepueblo.com/2011/10/ahanhc-gold-medal-winning-recipes-for.html) is a relatively simple list of the NHC winning recipes organized by BJCP category.  With the closing of the wiki, many of the links on this page are broken.

Could a similar page be built and maintained (updated yearly) by AHA?

I can't speak for what the AHA will do, but I'll pass along your request.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 04:07:53 PM »
How about reviews of homebrew equipment like the new stuff coming out. I don’t have a lot of money to throw around and it would be beneficial to read what others have seen as the pros and cons with things like conical fermenters, pumps, burners, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline snax

• 1st Kit
  • Dude, Where's My Brew?
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 06:35:12 PM »
How about reviews of homebrew equipment like the new stuff coming out. I don’t have a lot of money to throw around and it would be beneficial to read what others have seen as the pros and cons with things like conical fermenters, pumps, burners, etc.

Great idea, we will share with the AHA web and magazine staff!
Debbie "Snax" Cerda
Austin Zealots | Texas Carboys | Austin Homebrew Appreciation Society | Austin Women's Homebrew League
AHA Governing Committee 2012 - present | Diversity Subcommittee, Co-Chair  | Content & Resources Subcommittee

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 12:58:54 PM »
If I may, I’d like to add the term ‘unbiased’ to the proposed equipment reviews. So many of the reviews I’ve read are from a brewer who receives the equipment from the mfr and after a bit of schmoozing asks the brewer for a review. I’d like to see more of a Consumer Reports-like process applied to similar products where the reviewers are not beholden to the mfr. IOW: I wouldn’t want to know what the ‘company man’ thinks. I’d want to know a true pro vs. con review.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wisdom is proved right by her deeds

Brewed in the Tennessee Valley. Rocket City — Huntsville AL

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 05:00:21 PM »
If I may, I’d like to add the term ‘unbiased’ to the proposed equipment reviews. So many of the reviews I’ve read are from a brewer who receives the equipment from the mfr and after a bit of schmoozing asks the brewer for a review. I’d like to see more of a Consumer Reports-like process applied to similar products where the reviewers are not beholden to the mfr. IOW: I wouldn’t want to know what the ‘company man’ thinks. I’d want to know a true pro vs. con review.

Very good point. I see this could be a sensitive issue given that many of brewing equipment companies advertise in Zymurgy.

Dan Chisholm

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 05:29:12 PM »

Very good point. I see this could be a sensitive issue given that many of brewing equipment companies advertise in Zymurgy.

And I kinda take offense at the idea that people who are given equipment can't review it fairly.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 05:57:49 PM »
I promise to report a fair review if I’m given equipment. I believe that can be done. Are you listening Blinchmann, Pico, Spike?

Dan Chisholm

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 06:30:26 PM »

And I kinda take offense at the idea that people who are given equipment can't review it fairly.

As long as there's full disclosure.   I recall an equipment review over on Brülosophy where Marshall disclosed that the manufacturer had given him the equipment on condition that he review it, and also that he had only accepted it on his own condition that they understood he would be completely honest and there was a possibility that he might completely pan it.   That's the way it can and should be done.  To do a full-on Consumer Reports style rundown would require removing the manufacturers from the loop entirely, by having the items independently purchased for review.  I'm sure that's quite beyond the financial means of the AHA and Zymurgy.

(OTOH,  if a manufacturer is confident in their product, I can hardly think of a more reputable and qualified venue to submit it to for honest feedback than the amassed expertise within the AHA.)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 06:45:59 PM by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

Web and Zymurgy Article Ideas for 2020
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 07:34:57 PM »

No offense intended. This is the intent of my comment:

... that he had only accepted it on his own condition that they understood he would be completely honest and there was a possibility that he might completely pan it.   That's the way it can and should be done.  ...

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 07:39:27 PM by BrewBama »
wisdom is proved right by her deeds

Brewed in the Tennessee Valley. Rocket City — Huntsville AL

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 08:27:45 PM »

No offense intended. This is the intent of my comment:

... that he had only accepted it on his own condition that they understood he would be completely honest and there was a possibility that he might completely pan it.   That's the way it can and should be done.  ...

I think that's an assumption you can make about a lot of people.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline duncan

• AHA Associate Director
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 10:05:34 PM »
Do you have any ideas we could work on?

The "Gold Medal Recipes" page (link: http://www.alternativecommutepueblo.com/2011/10/ahanhc-gold-medal-winning-recipes-for.html) is a relatively simple list of the NHC winning recipes organized by BJCP category.  With the closing of the wiki, many of the links on this page are broken.

Could a similar page be built and maintained (updated yearly) by AHA?

Howdy! All the NHC gold recipes are available to members on HomebrewersAssociation.org. We currently have them through 2018, but 2019 will be up in the next few months.
AHA Associate Director.

Follow the American Homebrewers Association on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.