Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water Profile for Hef.  (Read 6860 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Water Profile for Hef.
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2019, 03:35:46 pm »
^^^^
Palmer and Kaminski address, slightly nearer the level of most of our heads, how chalk dissolved this way is very unstable in solution.  It is quick to precipitate back out, on its own or by apatite reactions in the mash, and is also very slow to adjust pH (taking several hours to have anything close to the expected effect, which is reversible.) 

I think all of us lay people can get an idea of how hard it is to get carbonate into water and how easy to get it out, even when it was dissolved under the uneproducible natural conditions of very high CO2 pressure over geologic time:  We all know that just bringing water to the boil does the trick.  But even more illustrative is that a simple drop in pressure, as from line pressure to atmospheric pressure, will cause it to break out of solution.  That's how you get lime scale on a faucet.  Surely I'd expect opening your 2 liter of Kai-style carbonated water would initate the process.

A.J. of course is one of their sources.

"Don't use chalk" is a very sensible rule.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 03:45:27 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

Water Profile for Hef.
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2019, 05:27:04 pm »
.9g gypsum
.2g cal chlor.
5 ml Lactic.

Gypsum is wicked out of place in German beer. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not for my German pils....it's essential

Many probably follow this advice: Sulfate and noble hops don't tend to play well together, so calcium chloride (not much) to distilled water for a great pilsner. Many would say no gypsum for this reason. However, it looks like Kai is on the gypsum team for a Pils as well:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 05:36:21 pm by BrewBama »

Big Monk

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2019, 05:50:29 pm »
.9g gypsum
.2g cal chlor.
5 ml Lactic.

Many probably follow this advice: Sulfate and noble hops don't tend to play well together, so calcium chloride (not much) to distilled water for a great pilsner. Many would say no gypsum for this reason. However, it looks like Kai is on the gypsum team for a Pils as well:

We all have our preferences.

Offline Robert

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2019, 06:02:11 pm »
.9g gypsum
.2g cal chlor.
5 ml Lactic.

Interesting.  Kai's finished profile is very close to mine, as it stands at the moment, for pale lagers.  I find sulfate desirable in just about any beer,  as long as it's somewhere under 100ppm.  I've found I'm less tolerant of chloride.  (And I'm not as scared of sodium as I was before letting  experience replace dogma, I have a little more than Kai.)  So gypsum will probably always have a place even with SMB contributing some potential sulfate, as I'm aiming for ~60ppm calcium.  Palates will differ.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2019, 06:10:48 am »
.9g gypsum
.2g cal chlor.
5 ml Lactic.

We all have our preferences.

I prefer a dry crisp finish in a Pils, ala Jever, Koenig, Herren Pils (decreasing dryness).

There are some bland German Pilsners.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2019, 07:41:05 am »
I've yet to run any good water experiments and I know the vast majority of us are still in the same boat.  I mean, you'd have to do blind triangles to know for sure if it even matters.  We fool ourselves into thinking things are very important when in reality.... well who knows.

Anyone care to comment on this yet?  How many of ya'll have run blind triangles with different water to really know what it does?
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Robert

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2019, 07:55:30 am »
I've yet to run any good water experiments and I know the vast majority of us are still in the same boat.  I mean, you'd have to do blind triangles to know for sure if it even matters.  We fool ourselves into thinking things are very important when in reality.... well who knows.

Anyone care to comment on this yet?  How many of ya'll have run blind triangles with different water to really know what it does?
No blind triangles, not gonna do it.  I've learned over time I don't like anything in excess, but everything in moderation.  As long as no single ion approaches 100 ppm I probably will find the water's contribution balanced and unobtrusive.  That's either useless guidance, or the most helpful possible.  It serves me as a guideline so I can concentrate on getting adequate calcium to satisfy the needs of the mash, which is IMHO all that really matters.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2019, 09:05:47 am »

No blind triangles, not gonna do it.  I've learned over time I don't like anything in excess, but everything in moderation.  As long as no single ion approaches 100 ppm I probably will find the water's contribution balanced and unobtrusive.  That's either useless guidance, or the most helpful possible.  It serves me as a guideline so I can concentrate on getting adequate calcium to satisfy the needs of the mash, which is IMHO all that really matters.

That works for me!  Cheers!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.