Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: LODO and Decoction Mashing  (Read 8885 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: LODO and Decoction Mashing
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2019, 10:28:15 am »
I didn't realize it was such a contentious topic.  I'm always looking for ways to improve my brewing and thought I'd give it a try if people have had success with it.  Now that I've tried it on my 3 tier system, I'm realizing I'd have been better off just using a BIAB in my kettle so I could direct heat and recirc.

Thanks to all who participated in this conversation!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Not so long ago LODO was a dividing line for many on both sides of the argument. So much so that the LODO adherents moved to their own forum. Birds of a feather I guess. Most of those brewers used to frequent this site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sad part is that when the LO site is mothballed this fall, those frequent posters and old AHA diehards who left still won’t come back.

Guys like Hoosierbrew and the like.

At the end of the day it’s not about LOB. It’s about people not liking being told how to brew lager by an experienced lager brewer.
Mothballed?!  Will the posts be archived somewhere?  Or is it just the forum?  So much valuable information that can't be found elsewhere.

Not sure.
Well I for one hope it lingers in an endless, zombie existence just like Kai's old site!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

LODO and Decoction Mashing
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2019, 10:50:18 am »
I agree. Great info over there. Especially the library!  Wow!  It would be a shame to lose that as a resource. If the info will be lost otherwise, maybe the AHA can at least pick up the library.

I've noticed more of them around again lately.   There's a wide world of homebrewers,  and this place ought to include them all, if we want to see it as the go to clearinghouse of information.

Good to see them around. Hopefully we’ll see more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 10:52:03 am by BrewBama »

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2019, 08:30:32 pm »
I didn't realize it was such a contentious topic.  I'm always looking for ways to improve my brewing and thought I'd give it a try if people have had success with it.  Now that I've tried it on my 3 tier system, I'm realizing I'd have been better off just using a BIAB in my kettle so I could direct heat and recirc.

Thanks to all who participated in this conversation!

Not so long ago LODO was a dividing line for many on both sides of the argument. So much so that the LODO adherents moved to their own forum. Birds of a feather I guess. Most of those brewers used to frequent this site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sad part is that when the LO site is mothballed this fall, those frequent posters and old AHA diehards who left still won’t come back.

Guys like Hoosierbrew and the like.

At the end of the day it’s not about LOB. It’s about people not liking being told how to brew lager by an experienced lager brewer.

You never know.. it actually seems to be pretty congenial around here of late. Maybe this will be the space where two sides come together to form one.

Offline Robert

« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2019, 09:33:26 pm »
Let's hope so.

Funny thing.  When I first started regularly participating here, I got the idea it was at the tail end of a mass exodus of an earlier generation.   And that didn't seem to be particularly tied to LODO.   I do remember that almost any thread could start with some poor noob asking a decent question,  and within 5 posts it turned into 5 pages of two members going at each other on a personal level.  Another funny thing.  Those guys all vanished too. 

I stuck around because there was a great base community and a lot of potential for invaluable information exchange.  Where else.  It has been more valuable than I could have hoped.  Hope the old members who have something to offer and a constant openness to new ideas come back.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2019, 10:11:45 pm »
It appears as though I've serendipitously stumbled onto a topic that needed to be redressed.  I only ever hoped to learn more about brewing, but here we are mending bridges (at least I hope).

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2019, 09:03:05 pm »
...  Hope the old members who have something to offer and a constant openness to new ideas come back.

I do, too.

Offline Robert

« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2019, 10:29:42 pm »

...  Hope the old members who have something to offer and a constant openness to new ideas come back.

I do, too.

Very sorry to see that Bryan (The Beerery) has deleted his account.  He was a valuable resource.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Big Monk

« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2019, 04:22:34 am »

I do, too.

Very sorry to see that Bryan (The Beerery) has deleted his account.  He was a valuable resource.

His opinions were very polarizing but wavered very littered, i.e. he was opinionated because he makes absolutely fantastic lager beer of all persuasions and has a very particular way he likes to do it (HAS to do it is probably more accurate), which he feels (and in which very many others are beginning to feel as well) is the right way.

Right way, wrong way exchanges can get very charged, very quickly. Some people never figured out how to stand on firm ground and debate Bryan based solely on the technical aspects of what he was talking about. That got old for him after a while.

He's still out there if you need to get in contact with him.

Offline BrewBama

LODO and Decoction Mashing
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2019, 05:29:38 am »
I believe there are absolute truths and there are personal convictions. Absolute truths are worth dividing over. Personal convictions are not. In brewing, there are very few absolute truths. Therefore, in brewing there is very little to divide over.

Edit: problems can arise when personal convictions are confused with absolute truth. Further problems arise when those convictions are applied to another person.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 06:16:40 am by BrewBama »

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2019, 08:08:26 pm »
Dear God I hope this thread was not the reason he deleted his account!  I would feel horrible if I did something to make him leave. 

He has always had very strong opinions on my posts, but I've valued his input, even though he comes off a tad brash.  It's great to see a guy who is truly passionate and methodical about brewing.  Really a big loss to our community!  I apologize if it were something I said to make him leave.  I was honestly just looking for the best information I could find on this particular subject.

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Offline Robert

« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2019, 08:15:10 pm »
Oh, don't worry, definitely not you.  I'm surprised he was still here this long at all.  It's just unfortunate all around.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2019, 08:35:52 pm »
I don't like criticism, but I don't quit forums (well okay except for basically the NB forum)... But I also know I'm not that popular and typically don't get attacked as much either, so there's that, too.

I do wish all the best to Mr. R and eventually I do want to get over to his brewery (is it ever going to open?!) and taste some of his lagers.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2019, 10:40:53 am »
Bryan has deleted his account before, hopefully he comes back after taking some time off for a bit.
Also looks like the LODO site will stick around and become a pay to play venture. I understand him not wanting to shell out money for the forum or site, but I also value free exchange of information.  Full access will be almost 3x the price of AHA membership.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 10:45:36 am by JT »

Big Monk

« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2019, 07:33:56 am »
Bryan has deleted his account before, hopefully he comes back after taking some time off for a bit.
Also looks like the LODO site will stick around and become a pay to play venture. I understand him not wanting to shell out money for the forum or site, but I also value free exchange of information.  Full access will be almost 3x the price of AHA membership.

I think the basic tier gets you everything on the site plus the forum. Thats the status quo for $12 a year. Not too shabby.

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2019, 08:56:56 pm »
It's a pretty awesome deal when you consider the quality of the information available there.