Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: LODO and Decoction Mashing  (Read 8757 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: LODO and Decoction Mashing
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2019, 12:29:47 pm »
I've tried multiple times to register over there.  Just did again.  Whenever I try to submit the registration I get a "form invalid" message.  When I use the "contact" feature to try to contact Admin about the problem, it's also "form invalid."  Either they've already shut down their existing system, or they really don't want any new, potential paying, members.   

Even if I am ever successful,  I will still help with any lobbying efforts to get a low oxygen board on here, which is what really needed to happen long ago.  Without one, this is not a complete and inclusive homebrewers' resource.   Otherwise I like it here and feel at home.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2019, 01:12:40 pm »
I've tried multiple times to register over there.  Just did again.  Whenever I try to submit the registration I get a "form invalid" message.  When I use the "contact" feature to try to contact Admin about the problem, it's also "form invalid."  Either they've already shut down their existing system, or they really don't want any new, potential paying, members.   

Even if I am ever successful,  I will still help with any lobbying efforts to get a low oxygen board on here, which is what really needed to happen long ago.  Without one, this is not a complete and inclusive homebrewers' resource.   Otherwise I like it here and feel at home.
We have low oxygen threads. Why do we need a low oxygen“board”? We don’t have separate fly, batch, and BIAB boards. We don’t have separate Picobrew, Grainfather, pot and cooler boards. As you can probably tell, I am for keeping the forum organization simple. We can all benefit from discussion even when the discussion is about a method we don’t employ.

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2019, 01:15:36 pm »

We have low oxygen threads. Why do we need a low oxygen“board”? We don’t have separate fly, batch, and BIAB boards. We don’t have separate Picobrew, Grainfather, pot and cooler boards. As you can probably tell, I am for keeping the forum organization simple. We can all benefit from discussion even when the discussion is about a method we don’t employ.
I think because LoDO is so very different and actually contradicts some of the things we've learned or thought we've learned in homebrewing, it is worthy of its own subject line.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Offline Robert

« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2019, 01:29:56 pm »

I just thought it would in fact be simpler.  To have a place where those who want to go into the weeds on techniques many brewers won't find relevant won't be cluttering other threads with digressions.  Maybe you're right, maybe integrating these topics into the general boards is better.  Just filing under all grain might be the thing to do.  Or kegging, fermentation, whatever.  We do however have boards for all grain, extract, equipment and software... not to mention other fermentables.  I thought maybe those were more analogous.   I'll go with what the people want.  If anyone else feels it would be more appropriate to have a board for specific LODO topics, I support that.  If not, I accept that.  Maybe unnecessary now that someone bringing up low oxygen issues in a thread is less likely to be seen as disruptive.  That's a very good sign. 

And you're absolutely right, we all benefit from exposure to ideas were not really looking for.  Reminds me that's what hooked me here in the  first place.  (And it was exposure to these ideas in the forum as currently organized that got me to adopt low oxygen brewing techniques, come to think of it...)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 01:32:24 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2019, 02:32:43 pm »
It reminds me of when I suggested a category for sour and wild ales - unnecessary I was told at the time and it probably was true.  Still, I would frequent the low oxygen category if it developed here. 

I keep up from time to time over at Low Oxygen Brewing forum.  I had adopted the approach whole hog back in 2017, but I have not done all of my styles as LODO - typically just the really light styles that seem to be the most impacted by oxygen staling effects.  Even those I occasionally skip the O2 scavenging sometimes in the interests of time.  My beers turn out ok with that approach, but I earnestly try to get them consumed most quickly, if I haven't done the full low O2 process.

However, I always use Brewtan B in both the mash and boil and then transfer after fermentation under CO2 purged process or spund to keg if I catch the timing right.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Robert

« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2019, 02:57:29 pm »
Brewtopalonian,

Maybe the fact that newer, better information contradicts old habits is exactly why it should not be segregated into its own sub forum.  Otherwise the function of the whole forum as a place to exchange information and improve our brewing is compromised.

Ynotbrusum,

I feel LODO methods are imperative (for me, that is) for my lagers, what I primarily enjoy and brew.  For some styles it initially feels inappropriate,  like where it's anachronistic:   a low oxygen 19th century Burton Ale would be a very different beer from the original.  But it might be a beer I like better,  who knows?  Same with a pre-prohibition style lager maybe.  Will I try the methods on such beers?  Time will tell.   It's another tool in the box, and we're all just learning what an impact it can have, and where it may be profitably applied.

More I think about it, these ideas probably belong in the general discussion.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2019, 03:01:41 pm »

THIS
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2019, 03:03:51 pm »

I think because LoDO is so very different and actually contradicts some of the things we've learned or thought we've learned in homebrewing, it is worthy of its own subject line.

But lots of things here are different and don't need or get their own board.  Do we need one for SNS starters?  They re definitely out of the conventional wisdom.   Batch sparging used to be, and to a degree BIAB still is.  I just don't see why LODO can't be part of the existing structure.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2019, 03:19:20 pm »

But lots of things here are different and don't need or get their own board.  Do we need one for SNS starters?  They re definitely out of the conventional wisdom.   Batch sparging used to be, and to a degree BIAB still is.  I just don't see why LODO can't be part of the existing structure.
Yeah, I really agree.  I think a couple of days ago when it was mentioned here that LOB was being mothballed it seemed like maybe their amassed resources might be given a home here.  Apparently that ship has sailed.   We can do a lot more good for the hobby by encouraging more cross pollination of ideas.

(Sorry to let my view evolve so much live in real time on this thread.  Oh wait, that's the beauty of the way things work here!)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 03:21:37 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2019, 03:57:01 pm »
I'm cool with the current approach for discussion.  I pretty much try to keep up with threads on a semi-regular basis, so I doubt that I would miss out on information that comes up by way of a new thread, anyway....

Cheers to this forum sticking around!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2019, 04:02:10 pm »
I certainly see the argument for simply incorporating it into our general/allgrain boards.  I've extensively read for understanding everything I could find on the low oxygen brewing website.i have since performed two LoDo brews, a Munich Dunkel and a Czech Premium Pils. I can honestly say, I've never had such pristinely clear wort and a thick sludge like cold break.  I'm excited to sample the results and see if it is truly something for me, but for now I will remain open minded and optimistic. Thanks for everyone's input and I am glad to be the catalyst for bringing this topic back into the fray.

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Offline BrewBama

LODO and Decoction Mashing
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2019, 06:28:45 pm »
...  I think a couple of days ago when it was mentioned here that LOB was being mothballed it seemed like maybe their amassed resources might be given a home here.  Apparently that ship has sailed.   We can do a lot more good for the hobby by encouraging more cross pollination of ideas.

I agree. I only introduced the idea of incorporating the Low Oxygen library resource here as a home in fear the information would be lost. ...which I believe would be a loss to the entire homebrewing community.  The idea was (is) all ideas can be shared here without discrimination. (Regardless of where within the structure the information is discussed)

Cheers to this forum sticking around!

Cheers to that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2019, 06:37:20 pm »

The idea was (is) all ideas can be shared here without discrimination.

Even during its most tumultuous times, this has still been the great strength of this forum.

Cheers indeed!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Big Monk

« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2019, 07:27:49 pm »
Hopefully the way forward is a peek into the past. Mainly, there is an elephant in the room that has always parked its big ass right on top of some people who would rather have it somewhere else. We have inadvertently (yet passionately) engaged in hyperbole from time to time with the following statement:

”This means all beer! Your ales and lagers will benefit equally from these methods.

and

”All beers benefit from the Low Oxygen methods.”

When I say hyperbole here, I do not mean the meaning of the word having to do with exaggeration or embellishment, but rather a magnification or amplification of a finer point. We have always been passionate about its application and we have always felt that anyone willing to lavish the extra effort onto their most loved recipes would be rewarded with the final results.

With that said, I think we can definitely point towards beers that will most certainly see the greatest impacts: lagers and hop forward ales.

Does that mean that my Trappist inspired ales don’t benefit? Absolutely not, but something as yeast forward as a 3787 fermented ale may not be the most startling representation of the methods. Also, beers made with tons of auxiliary flavors or sour beers are not good candidates.

So have we steered people wrong? I don’t think so. Are there beers where the method may not yield striking results? Of course, but I think they are outliers. Anyone making simple, base malt heavy beers, beers with supplementary amounts of light to medium crystal malts, or hop forward beers will be rewarded with the benefits of full Oxygen exclusion.

This is of course applies within reason.

Were/Are we passionate enough about the methods to engagein sensible hyperbole to get the point across? A resounding yes. Do I think that’s a bad thing? Or that we have willfully mislead anyone? Absolutely not. I think we have found many sympathetic brewers who were looking for that final piece of the puzzle to really make their simpler recipe style pop.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 07:42:40 pm by Big Monk »

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2019, 10:00:39 pm »
I think most low oxygen brewers from past experience have learned just to keep quiet round these parts.. but now it will be most interesting to see how this new glasnost works. The test will likely be when a newbie comes in and asks how to brew something like Bud or maybe why he can't make beers that taste like what he had in Germany.