Well, how did we do? Have time to figure out what you’re gonna do different next brew yet? ( it usually takes me sleeping on it )
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It went pretty well. The system is fairly easy to use and clean. I don’t think I made any boneheaded mistakes or had any problems. I did get stumped (after drinking a few) trying to figure out how to connect the wort chiller. Google solved that one for me.
I ended up with about 2.75 gallons of wort. That was actually my guess for the ending volume so I got lucky there.
My OG was 8 points below what the recipe crafter predicted: 1046 vs. 1054. At 1046 I think the beer should be fine. I really wanted 1050 so 1046 is not terribly low. My main change here will probably be to use more grain next time. I calculate 62% efficiency into the fermenter. Considering the Z is no sparge, I think 62% is fairly reasonable. I am not sure I could get it much higher. On the other hand, Picobrew recommends a coarser crush than I am using. So, that is another change I could make.
I am fermenting in a Big Mouth Bubbler. I did that so I could measure the final wort volume.
The other trouble I had was with my wort chiller. There was tons of foam in the chiller. It turns out there was a pinhole in one side of the tubing. I think that was letting in air. I may buy a Jaded corny pillar. I think it would be a lot simpler to use and clean.