Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Shiner Oktoberfest  (Read 7219 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Shiner Oktoberfest
« on: August 19, 2010, 11:48:23 pm »
Shiner Marzen-style Oktoberfest. Just came out and I picked up a sixpack this AM.

Cracked a bottle and poured into a pilsner glass. Nice bright copper color. Effervescent and long lasting head. Malty, but not as much as the real German item. Slight initial metallic taste which could be the hops?

Not as sweet like I feared it would be. Nice. Not earth-shattering but the whole six will be consumed. Unlike the Commemorator that I still have a couple bottles left after several years.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Shiner Oktoberfest
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 05:51:04 am »
Shiner is pretty solid with all their seasonal offerings. I never hesitate to give them a whirl when I see something new. The Commemorator was kinda lackluster IMO. The recent Shiner Smokehaus (Mesquite Smoked Helles) was great. Shiner 101 was excellent, Shiner Fröst was good too.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 09:55:26 am »
I like it. As blasphemic as it may be, my favorite O-Fest had always been Sam Adam's, but as soon as this year's Sammy comes out, I can't wait to do a side-by-side. I'm thinking Shiner's may be better. I have to agree with MDixon, their recent seasonal offering have been great. 101 was very nice, and Smokehaus is my new go-to summer beer for out by the pool or next to the grill. Kinda nice knowing a brewery in TX is finally pumping out some great beers. Now I can only hope they come out with a new holiday beer. The peaches and pecan beer just wasn't my thing.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 10:02:52 am »
When I was in Tennessee last year visiting relatives, Shiner Bock was the only thing close to craft beer I could get where they live.  I liked it pretty much, and the $7 for a pitcher was not a bad price.  Of course, I was beer starved all week but never broke down to ordering a BMC.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Me

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 10:07:55 am »
I like it. As blasphemic as it may be, my favorite O-Fest had always been Sam Adam's, but as soon as this year's Sammy comes out, I can't wait to do a side-by-side.

I agree, the Sam Adams Octoberfest is amazing (and is one of my favorites). Having said that, I picked up a six of it a week or so ago and I feel like it doesn't taste like I remember. This might be a change in my palate, but something seems off. I'm still working on my beer vocabulary but I feel like the malt isn't as robust as I remember and that the alcohol flavor comes through a bit. I'm going to need to sit down and really think about (and drink about) what seems off. Let me know if you notice anything different.
Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-
BF

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 11:30:03 am »
I like it. As blasphemic as it may be, my favorite O-Fest had always been Sam Adam's, but as soon as this year's Sammy comes out, I can't wait to do a side-by-side.

I agree, the Sam Adams Octoberfest is amazing (and is one of my favorites). Having said that, I picked up a six of it a week or so ago and I feel like it doesn't taste like I remember. This might be a change in my palate, but something seems off. I'm still working on my beer vocabulary but I feel like the malt isn't as robust as I remember and that the alcohol flavor comes through a bit. I'm going to need to sit down and really think about (and drink about) what seems off. Let me know if you notice anything different.

Are you sure it's this year's? I was up in Waterbury, CT two weeks ago and there was no SA O-Fest to be found. My uncle, who loves everything Sammy, said that the O-Fest usually doesn't arrive until the first week of September at the earliest. COuld be some distributer's are trying to cash in and get rid of last year's leftovers.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline hambone

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 11:35:19 am »
This year's Sam Adams Octoberfest is available and has been for a little while. I bought a case of it last week for $25 at the Sam's Store near my house (I love the great deals at Sam's). I haven't tried it yet but I know that it's 2010's because they have a brand new label.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 11:51:26 am »

Are you sure it's this year's? I was up in Waterbury, CT two weeks ago and there was no SA O-Fest to be found. My uncle, who loves everything Sammy, said that the O-Fest usually doesn't arrive until the first week of September at the earliest. COuld be some distributer's are trying to cash in and get rid of last year's leftovers.

It's like Christmas decorations in October...they keep coming sooner and sooner.  I've seen it here in NH as early as a couple weeks ago.  I mean pumpkin ales were in the stores as early as August 4th this year...I love pumpkin ales so I didn't mind so much.  I'd drink SA Octoberfest year round if they provided it.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

narvin

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 12:04:58 pm »
Had a Sam Oktoberfest on draft today... not good at all.  I used to think it was a decent (if American tasting) beer,  but this one didn't even taste fresh.  I'd blame the bar but I doubt it's even been out for more than a week or so.

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 12:08:19 pm »
Guess I need to go shopping again. A buddy had them side by side and said the Sammy was bad too. Wonder if they changed up the recipe.

OT: Had the Barleywine from the 2010 Longshot sixer. Blah. Cloying bomb. The Old Ale was decent and haven't gotten around to the Spiced Saison.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 12:11:39 pm »
The Octoberfests are popping up on the shelves. I counted at least five domestic craft Octoberfests last weekend that I'd never seen before.

I'd rather buy singles instead of a $10 sixpack (or fourpack in some cases) but I want to try them all!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 01:48:49 pm »
Had a Sam Oktoberfest on draft today... not good at all.  I used to think it was a decent (if American tasting) beer,  but this one didn't even taste fresh.  I'd blame the bar but I doubt it's even been out for more than a week or so.

rather funny - I think this year's SA O-fest is the best I've ever had of theirs, and one of the best Fests of the season so far (though I haven't picked up any German versions yet). Better than Shiner, Harpoon, Flying Dog and Left Hand, though I like Left Hand as well.

I bought a 12 pack and will definitely buy more.

Maerzen is my second favorite style, too. go figure  ???
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Me

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 02:28:31 pm »
I suppose this is just a case of different strokes for different folks.
Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-
BF

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 11:57:27 pm »
Swung by the local and picked up some SA O-fest. More on this later.

I've had both the Shiner and the Real Ale releases. Both were excellent, and slightly different but whose malt character said "Oktoberfest". The Real Ale Oktoberfest is quite nice and drinkable. I was surprised to see them release it but "our first lager" in the description clears it up some.

SA O-fest Is a rich drinkable beer. I don't get much if any of the Bavarian malt character the other two possess. Sam Adams doesn't seem to share this particular aspect. Is it meant to be an American Octoberfest?

It's good- I'm having another.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 02:11:59 pm »

OT: Had the Barleywine from the 2010 Longshot sixer. Blah. Cloying bomb. The Old Ale was decent and haven't gotten around to the Spiced Saison.

I liked the BW... a bit on the heavy side, but it'll be nice in the winter.

The old ale was good too. Its a beer thats too often over-hopped, which SA avoided. When I buy an old ale, thats what I want... not an Imperial Red.

Saison was decent as well... its better suited for the "saison" category and not the "spiced" category... couldnt pick up much lemon or pepper (which is good - not a fan of either in beer, unless its chipotle!)
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/