General Category > Commercial Beer Reviews

Shiner Oktoberfest

(1/5) > >>

euge:
Shiner Marzen-style Oktoberfest. Just came out and I picked up a sixpack this AM.

Cracked a bottle and poured into a pilsner glass. Nice bright copper color. Effervescent and long lasting head. Malty, but not as much as the real German item. Slight initial metallic taste which could be the hops?

Not as sweet like I feared it would be. Nice. Not earth-shattering but the whole six will be consumed. Unlike the Commemorator that I still have a couple bottles left after several years.

MDixon:
Shiner is pretty solid with all their seasonal offerings. I never hesitate to give them a whirl when I see something new. The Commemorator was kinda lackluster IMO. The recent Shiner Smokehaus (Mesquite Smoked Helles) was great. Shiner 101 was excellent, Shiner Fröst was good too.

Robert:
I like it. As blasphemic as it may be, my favorite O-Fest had always been Sam Adam's, but as soon as this year's Sammy comes out, I can't wait to do a side-by-side. I'm thinking Shiner's may be better. I have to agree with MDixon, their recent seasonal offering have been great. 101 was very nice, and Smokehaus is my new go-to summer beer for out by the pool or next to the grill. Kinda nice knowing a brewery in TX is finally pumping out some great beers. Now I can only hope they come out with a new holiday beer. The peaches and pecan beer just wasn't my thing.

theDarkSide:
When I was in Tennessee last year visiting relatives, Shiner Bock was the only thing close to craft beer I could get where they live.  I liked it pretty much, and the $7 for a pitcher was not a bad price.  Of course, I was beer starved all week but never broke down to ordering a BMC.

Me:

--- Quote from: Robert on August 31, 2010, 08:55:26 AM ---I like it. As blasphemic as it may be, my favorite O-Fest had always been Sam Adam's, but as soon as this year's Sammy comes out, I can't wait to do a side-by-side.
--- End quote ---

I agree, the Sam Adams Octoberfest is amazing (and is one of my favorites). Having said that, I picked up a six of it a week or so ago and I feel like it doesn't taste like I remember. This might be a change in my palate, but something seems off. I'm still working on my beer vocabulary but I feel like the malt isn't as robust as I remember and that the alcohol flavor comes through a bit. I'm going to need to sit down and really think about (and drink about) what seems off. Let me know if you notice anything different.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version