Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Naturally Rising Fermentation Temp - To chill or not to chill?  (Read 994 times)

Offline Chris Miller

• 1st Kit
If I am doing a Belgian beer and the recommended fermentation temp is 72F and the temp rises naturally during fermentation, should I turn on my chiller to keep it at 72F or let it naturally rise?  For this beer I did not use the chiller and the ferm activity was very active getting up to 80F.  Any thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated.  Cheers!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Naturally Rising Fermentation Temp - To chill or not to chill?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 08:28:40 am »
Wow, 72 is a lot higher than I'd start a Belgian beer.  I wouldn't let it get any warmer during the first week.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 05:59:49 am »
Wow, 72 is a lot higher than I'd start a Belgian beer.  I wouldn't let it get any warmer during the first week.

I agree.  I’ve done a number of Belgians and I like to start my fermentations at 65°F.  Then I’ll raise to the recommended LOW end temperature from the yeast lab and slowly (4-5 days) move to the recommended high end temperature to draw out some fruity esters.  Most Belgian yeasts that I know of favor a low end temperature in the mid to high 60’s.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 08:25:23 am »

I agree.  I’ve done a number of Belgians and I like to start my fermentations at 65°F.  Then I’ll raise to the recommended LOW end temperature from the yeast lab and slowly (4-5 days) move to the recommended high end temperature to draw out some fruity esters.  Most Belgian yeasts that I know of favor a low end temperature in the mid to high 60’s.

Frankly,  I pretty much ignore the temp ranges manufacturers use. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell