Author Topic: Recipe planning  (Read 689 times)

Offline Jeffrey

• 1st Kit
Re: Recipe planning
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2019, 01:02:55 AM »
I’m learning to not plan too far ahead. Life comes at you fast. If I brewed by myself, for myself, it would be more predictable. However, my kids are my brew-buddies, and we all have divergent preferences. But I’m happy to deal with the complications. Keeps it interesting, among other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

• Brewmaster General
Recipe planning
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2019, 01:30:41 AM »
I spend the few weeks between brews making up recipes. Most never see the light of day. But making recipes and imagining how they might come out is entertaining for me.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 01:32:44 AM by tommymorris »

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • Manty Malters - Meet the Malters! - Dave Taylor
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2019, 02:00:46 AM »
I spend the few weeks between brews making up recipes. Most never see the light of day. But making recipes and imagining how they might come out is entertaining for me.

Ditto.  I've designed almost 200 recipes, but have only brewed about 100 of them.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2019, 05:03:57 PM »
   Planning is for people who can't handle chaos:-). I usually have `300 to 400 lbs of grain on hand, always try to have 2 row, pilsner, Munich light, Mo & Rye in stock, along with about 40 or 50 other grains. That gives me the ability to brew pretty much whatever weird thing comes to mind. The only ingredients that I have found to be a problem with regards to long term storage are flaked rice, which seems to get rancid rather quickly, and liquid yeast, but since most of the liquid yeast I've ordered was dead before it got here, I've pretty much given up on the stuff.
   I do have to plan a little bit, say, insuring that one of the fridges is going to be available if I want to do a lager, but I keep a dozen or so kinds of dry yeast and 2 or 3 dozen kinds of hops, so I have lots of options. I try to brew once a week, but as weather warmed and deferred maintenance work beckoned my brewing has been reduced to about once a month.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2019, 05:33:09 PM »
Since I'm so bad at planning I keep a large inventory on hand so I can whip out a lot of things as the mood strikes me.  Currently I have about 800 lb. of various grains, 30 lb. of hops and maybe a dozen packs of Wyeast on hand.

I thought my inventory was big!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2019, 06:00:31 PM »
Since I'm so bad at planning I keep a large inventory on hand so I can whip out a lot of things as the mood strikes me.  Currently I have about 800 lb. of various grains, 30 lb. of hops and maybe a dozen packs of Wyeast on hand.

Most of that is due to not brewing enough!  Plus, people keep sending me stuff to try.  I've got craft malt from at least 4-5 different places.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2019, 07:27:10 PM »

Most of that is due to not brewing enough!  Plus, people keep sending me stuff to try.  I've got craft malt from at least 4-5 different places.

If you're running out of room---tell them to send stuff to me.  😊
Ralph R.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2019, 08:00:41 PM »

If you're running out of room---tell them to send stuff to me.  😊

My club benefits a lot from this stuff.  I give away a lot of ingredients and equipment.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell