Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Club Leadership & Organization Mission Statement Thread  (Read 8245 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Club Leadership & Organization Mission Statement Thread
« on: June 20, 2011, 02:34:59 pm »
Ok, I know... I already wrote something, but it occurred to me afterwards that there should be a mission statement to this.

The background: At the 2011 AHA Conference, a foolhardy and dedicated bunch of folks sat down with Tom Schmidlin (Cascade Brewers Guild, WAHA) , Chuck West (QUAFF), Roxanne Westendorf (Bloatarian Brewer's League) and myself  (Maltose Falcons) and we got to work on figuring out how to run a club. We had ~100 people in our talk. That's about 80 more than I expected during a 9AM seminar on the morning after Club Night!

It quickly became apparent during the whole thing that we had a ton of questions from the need to officially organize, the trials of insurance, growth and even what to do with unruly members.

Consider this step 1 in our plan to make this a lot easier for everyone to deal with!

If you have any questions you want to ask anonymously - feel free to PM me or email me at drew@maltosefalcons.com and I'll ask away for you.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline wickdawg

• 1st Kit
    • Wick's Home Brew
Re: Club Leadership & Organization Mission Statement Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 03:33:53 pm »
Tooling around on here and I stumbled upon this post. I am one of four that just recently started a home brew club in Mississippi. We have adopted by-laws to have these set in stone before we have membership come in. Luckily there are other home brew clubs in our are that have been a lot of help. I'm curious to know about what insurance. Should we be concerned about this? Is this something we should consider at the start up of our home brew club? What insurance should we consider? I'm sure there is much much more that I am missing out, and will come back with more questions at a later date.

Thanks a lot and Cheers!
 -Wick

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Club Leadership & Organization Mission Statement Thread
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 04:39:07 pm »
Hola Wick!

Congrats on starting the club. If you're a 4 brewer operation right now, I wouldn't sweat the insurance question just yet. For now, I would think your energies would be better spent on finding your club's groove and attracting members to the organization.

Please feel free to ask anything. There's a bunch of folks here with a lot of experience running clubs. Hopefully, some of it will be useful!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison