Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: hop socks  (Read 1784 times)

Offline KCguy

• Assistant Brewer
hop socks
« on: July 10, 2019, 03:54:40 pm »
Anyone got anything bad to say about hop socks/bags?  Ive been using quite a bit in the last year, but wondering if Im missing some of my hop flavor/bitterness in those batches.  Anyone else use them and prefer not to?  If not, what do you use instead?  It was a big relief not to have that hop trub in the general mix of trub...really hoping Im wrong in my suspicion.
Drinkin Tripels, Seeing Double, Feelin Single...

Michael B
Kansas City

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: hop socks
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 04:15:15 pm »
Use them frequently, no problems.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline TeeDubb

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Jose, CA
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 06:07:04 pm »
I've used hop socks and a large stainless mesh cylinder (like a big tea ball) with good results. Recently, on hop-forward ales/IPAs I reversed the approach and added the hops loose to the keg and used the stainless dry hopper to act as a filter on the dip tube. This seems to maximize hop to beer contact ratio and I can say I got more intense aromas.  So maybe I can reduce hop quantities or get better utilization. It is my new way forward when the recipe calls for significant amounts of dry hops. If clarity is a concern, you can also transfer to a second keg after dry hopping and use a floating dip tube (at the expense of time and oxygen pickup if not careful).

See "keg filter" section in this article:
http://scottjanish.com/my-favorite-way-to-dry-hop-loose-in-primary-and-kegs/

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 07:35:55 am »
You could dry hop by making a hop tea, I tried this on my last batch and the hop aromas are pretty good, better than I've had in the past. All you need is a big French press and extra space in the keg/fermenter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 11:45:49 am »
You could dry hop by making a hop tea, I tried this on my last batch and the hop aromas are pretty good, better than I've had in the past. All you need is a big French press and extra space in the keg/fermenter.

Care to go into detail on your "hop Tea" procedure?  Amount, type of hop (pellet/whole), temp of water, how long to steep, when you added the tea etc.  I've been researching the idea of hop teas and/or tinctures and I know there has to be a good way to do this.  I just can't find anything concrete.  Just like all things related to hop additions, everyone has 3 different ways to do it!   :D

Thanks in advance.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 11:56:52 am »
My experience with hop teas is not good.   Vile, astringent, chlorophyll.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 12:38:34 pm »

So I'll ask you the same question:
Care to go into detail on your "hop Tea" procedure?  Amount, type of hop (pellet/whole), temp of water, how long to steep, when you added the tea etc. 

I'm sure all these variables play some part.  I don't doubt you had crappy results, but I've read too many threads/posts/articles from people who claim to have had good results with teas.  Unfortunately, none of these success stories really spell out any kind of actual procedure for making the tea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 12:45:32 pm »

So I'll ask you the same question:
Care to go into detail on your "hop Tea" procedure?  Amount, type of hop (pellet/whole), temp of water, how long to steep, when you added the tea etc. 

I'm sure all these variables play some part.  I don't doubt you had crappy results, but I've read too many threads/posts/articles from people who claim to have had good results with teas.  Unfortunately, none of these success stories really spell out any kind of actual procedure for making the tea.

I tried several different methods...straight water (I have very good quality water), pH adjusted water, temps between 160-185, steeping 5-30 min., generally pellets but tried whole, so many varieties I can't recall which ones  I dosed 4 oz. of beer with various amounts from a few drops up to a Tbsp.  Not only that, I've never been given one made with hop tea that I thought improved the beer.  It's subjective, so give it a try.  But my experience is that it's a bad idea.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 01:29:42 pm »
It's complicated chemistry  and I won't pretend to understand the details, but what I do understand is that the stuff we want out of hops is not really that water soluble.  Nasty stuff seems to be.  Beer works better.  Hey, beer works better than water.  I think I may be on to something there...
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 01:59:44 pm »
It's complicated chemistry  and I won't pretend to understand the details, but what I do understand is that the stuff we want out of hops is not really that water soluble.  Nasty stuff seems to be.  Beer works better.  Hey, beer works better than water.  I think I may be on to something there...

I'm about to start using the PicoStill to male my own hop extract. Hopefully I can use that in place of dry hopping.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 02:20:44 pm »
Another consideration is that any hop tea (even an extract steeped in beer) is likely to introduce a lot of oxygen (particularly if added post fermentation,) which will quickly prove counterproductive in getting good aroma and stability.  The kinds of oils and extracts professionals use, and that maybe Denny will be able to make, don't pose this problem to anything like the same degree.   (I know that field distilled oil in SN Hop Hunter IPA is pretty awesome!)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 02:24:37 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 03:14:41 pm »

I'm about to start using the PicoStill to male my own hop extract. Hopefully I can use that in place of dry hopping.

Sounds like a fun idea.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 03:56:30 pm »

Sounds like a fun idea.

I had some hopped gin made with hop extract from it.  DEEELISHUS!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Robert

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 04:04:21 pm »

What's your raw material gonna be?  Wet hops, pellets, cryo...?  Do you plan to use steam, or alcohol or some other solvent?  Know it's a lot of questions, but I'm curious.  I've quit dry hopping but an easily dosed low oxygen alternative might appeal to me, and there's just not much available to homebrewers.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 04:11:21 pm »

What's your raw material gonna be?  Wet hops, pellets, cryo...?  Do you plan to use steam, or alcohol or some other solvent?  Know it's a lot of questions, but I'm curious.  I've quit dry hopping but an easily dosed low oxygen alternative might appeal to me, and there's just not much available to homebrewers.

Apparently you get the best extraction with pellets since they're already pulverized, but you can use whole hops, too.  I have a lot of hop cores that YCH gave me and they've been around (unopened) for a while so I want to use them.  Uses steam, although you spritz the whole hops with vodka first.  I'll let ya know how it works when I have a chance to try it.

www.dennybrew.com