Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Low profile keg  (Read 699 times)

Offline Jennifer Cook

• 1st Kit
Low profile keg
« on: July 15, 2019, 03:05:59 pm »
I'm just getting started and am going to buy some ball lock corny kegs.  I see the option odf low profile kegs that are moer expensive.  What's the difference?

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Low profile keg
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 04:19:11 pm »
I do not keg (yet) but I have been looking into corny kegs.  I believe that the low profile kegs are just slightly shorter and wider versions than the same gallon normal kegs.  Just a small dimensional difference.  Depending on where you plan on keeping your kegs, one style might be more practical than another.

Don't quote me on this however.   :)

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 07:26:55 pm »
Pin lock kegs are shorter than ball lock. Is that what you are looking for?
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 07:37:00 pm »
I've seen ball lock kegs advertied that are more like the dimensions of pin locks.  In fact it appears that many of the used ones are just converted pin locks.  As Megary advised, decide what dimensions are ideal for your space, then shop around.  There are various options in new and used kegs. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 07:58:13 pm »
There are a small number of original low profile ball lock kegs but most of the low profile ball lock kegs you find on the market these days are rebuilt pin lock kegs. They are more expensive either because they are rare originals or conversions that cost money to convert.

Unless you have a specific need for low profile kegs there is no point in spending the money. Consider as well that there are low profile quick disconnects that can shave an inch or so off the height of your kegging system as well. They are a lot cheaper than sourcing low profile kegs.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 08:04:38 pm »

Consider as well that there are low profile quick disconnects that can shave an inch or so off the height of your kegging system as well. They are a lot cheaper than sourcing low profile kegs.

And if height is the concern, this option (and if height is no concern it's a non issue) has the added advantage that skinnier kegs saving floor space in your fridge/wherever could possibly mean more kegs, or room for a gas cylinder.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.