Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewery runs out of Beer!  (Read 2694 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Brewery runs out of Beer!
« on: July 11, 2019, 10:32:13 am »
I've been to Alpha Brewing, located in the old mining town of Alpha Michigan, pop ~140.  This is in the UP of Michigan, which is remote by definition. Alpha is between the "big" towns of Iron Mountain and Crystal Falls. There are a lot of cottages on the lakes, Rivers, and out in the woods so there would be many more py there for the 4th of July.

Oh, the brewery is a nano.

https://www.uppermichiganssource.com/content/news/Alpha-Michigan-Brewing-Company-runs-out-of-beer-512489361.html
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Brewery runs out of Beer!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 11:48:24 am »

This is in the UP of Michigan, which is remote by definition.

Matter of perspective.  I once heard a Yooper say that if the Mackinac bridge ever went out, 300 million Americans would be stranded!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 12:15:01 pm »

Matter of perspective.  I once heard a Yooper say that if the Mackinac bridge ever went out, 300 million Americans would be stranded!

We were on the deck of a nice bar in Eagle River Michigan, way up the Keweenaw Peninsula. Talked to a couple, he was an Engineer on a lake freighter, she was a housewife. He got around. She said she almost never gets south of the bridge. After a while, something clicked, and I had to verify which bridge. She meant the lift bridge at Houghton MI, not the Mackinaw Bridge.

It's all realitive.

The UP is 30 of Michigan's land area, but only has 3% of the population.

One can get to the UP from Wisconsin. That's how all the FIBS get there.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 01:15:35 pm »

We were on the deck of a nice bar in Eagle River Michigan, way up the Keweenaw Peninsula. Talked to a couple, he was an Engineer on a lake freighter, she was a housewife. He got around. She said she almost never gets south of the bridge. After a while, something clicked, and I had to verify which bridge. She meant the lift bridge at Houghton MI, not the Mackinaw Bridge.

It's all realitive.

The UP is 30 of Michigan's land area, but only has 3% of the population.

One can get to the UP from Wisconsin. That's how all the FIBS get there.
I had to look that up. :)
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 01:32:32 pm »

Speaking of Yooper----

At 1:15 in the news report, there's a shot of glasses hanging on the wall and one is for "Yooper". Same person? Too much of a long shot to be coincidence.
Ralph R.

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 01:38:28 pm »

Speaking of Yooper----

At 1:15 in the news report, there's a shot of glasses hanging on the wall and one is for "Yooper". Same person? Too much of a long shot to be coincidence.

Yooper is the term for a resident of the UP (Upper Peninsula,) as in "U.P.-er."  That raises the question, up there, who's the one guy who thinks he can use the name for himself?  Must be a real local legend!  Otherwise, don't drink out of that mug.  Everybody else has!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 02:52:26 pm »
My mother grew up in the UP about a mile from Whitefish Point. My grandfather had a fishery for many years which has now transformed into the best fresh fish/smoked fish restaurant in Michigan. A little plug for my cousin at Brown Fisheries. We have a place about 3 miles from the point on the bayside off the road named after my grandfather. I’ll be UP there in a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 03:03:27 pm »
My mother grew up in the UP about a mile from Whitefish Point. My grandfather had a fishery for many years which has now transformed into the best fresh fish/smoked fish restaurant in Michigan. A little plug for my cousin at Brown Fisheries. We have a place about 3 miles from the point on the bayside off the road named after my grandfather. I’ll be UP there in a few weeks.

Well just be sure to pack some extra beer just to be safe. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 03:05:43 pm »

Well just be sure to pack some extra beer just to be safe. 
Never a problem with a homebrewer.

Dan Chisholm

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 03:18:12 pm »
Yooper is the term for a resident of the UP (Upper Peninsula,) as in "U.P.-er."

I once met a Yooper who referred to people from the other part of Michigan as "trolls" because they lived below the bridge!
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 03:27:46 pm »

Cool! I have heard of Brown's. Paradise, turn off to Taquanamon Falls. A guy I used to work with said it was fantastic Whitefish.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 03:28:51 pm »

I once met a Yooper who referred to people from the other part of Michigan as "trolls" because they lived below the bridge!

They all do.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 03:32:42 pm »

Cool! I have heard of Brown's. Paradise, turn off to Taquanamon Falls. A guy I used to work with said it was fantastic Whitefish.
You have to have it and don’t forget to grab some smoked fish on the way out. I say it’s the best fried whitefish anywhere, and even though I’m biased they get a top rating from all the travel and food sites.

Dan Chisholm

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 04:11:38 pm »

The ones who live below da bridge are indeed trolls eh.

I was a yooper for 4 years up der in Houghton.  Bachelors of Chemical Engineering from MTU, Class of 1997.

Say yah to da U.P., eh?!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 04:22:38 pm »

The ones who live below da bridge are indeed trolls eh.

I was a yooper for 4 years up der in Houghton.  Bachelors of Chemical Engineering from MTU, Class of 1997.

Say yah to da U.P., eh?!
Holy Wah! I’ve only been to Houghton once. I vaguely remember a story that my Grandpa used to tell about fishing in Ontonagon.

Dan Chisholm