Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Files Podcast Ep. 66 - Middling Beer  (Read 655 times)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Brew Files Podcast Ep. 66 - Middling Beer
« on: July 11, 2019, 12:16:41 pm »
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/brew-files-episode-66-middling-beer

We've been talking a lot about lower alcohol beers recently - part of a trend - but a real problem for these beers is fewer ingredients means fewer chances to inject flavor. Drew sits down with Phil Jensen and talks about using a by-product of the flour milling industry to boost beer flavor. They may be called "middlings", but their impact is anything but. Sit back - it's time to taste some beer!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brian_welch

• Cellarman
  • Holden MA
Re: Brew Files Podcast Ep. 66 - Middling Beer
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 09:44:27 am »
Great interview.  I really wanted to go to this presentation in Providence but couldn't.

Now to find a place that sells middlings.  No luck so far.  Some sources say that durum semolina is a type of wheat middling.  It seems more readily available.  Any ideas if they would bring the same results?  I'm looking to bring more wheatiness and body to a weizenbock since that's what Stan Hieronymus said it needed when he tasted it on club night.
Brian Welch
WIZARDS (Worcester Incorporated Zymurgists Advancing Real Draughts)

ON TAP:
Hefeweizen
West Coast Pils
German Pils
Altbier

ON DECK:
English Bitter
Dark Mild

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 10:02:28 am »
Is the trick isn't it?
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 10:09:02 am »
Great interview.  I really wanted to go to this presentation in Providence but couldn't.

Now to find a place that sells middlings.  No luck so far.  Some sources say that durum semolina is a type of wheat middling.  It seems more readily available.  Any ideas if they would bring the same results?  I'm looking to bring more wheatiness and body to a weizenbock since that's what Stan Hieronymus said it needed when he tasted it on club night.

As far as I know, semolina wouldn't be the same.  I know Phil was talking to a major homebrew supplier about carrying them, but I don't know of or when it might happen.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell