Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Question about spunding  (Read 1248 times)

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
Question about spunding
« on: July 12, 2019, 11:21:00 am »
As I sit at work, I got to thinking about trying a spunding valve.  My only concern is that I wouldn't have any temperature control once I transfer.  But I was thinking, since most of the fermentation is done, perhaps I don't need temperature control.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Question about spunding
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 09:41:00 am »
Are you talking about transferring to a keg near end of fermentation (maybe a couple gravity points to go)?  That's what I've been doing now for a few months and have been happy with the results.  What are you using for temp control in the primary fermenter that you couldn't use with the keg?  Guessing you plan to put the keg with spunding valve in a cool room somewhere and since fermentation is nearly complete there's little risk for undesired phenols or esters.
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 10:46:16 am »
Are you talking about transferring to a keg near end of fermentation (maybe a couple gravity points to go)?  That's what I've been doing now for a few months and have been happy with the results.  What are you using for temp control in the primary fermenter that you couldn't use with the keg?  Guessing you plan to put the keg with spunding valve in a cool room somewhere and since fermentation is nearly complete there's little risk for undesired phenols or esters.

Yes, transfer with a few points to go.  I have a temp controlled conical fermenter.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 01:14:26 pm »
Seems like if you put the keg in a room in the low 70's for a few days to finish off fermentation under pressure all would be fine.
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 01:25:54 pm »
Seems like if you put the keg in a room in the low 70's for a few days to finish off fermentation under pressure all would be fine.
I've done this and it is fine.
Just remember that you are raising the temp of the beer and adjust your valve setting. Also, don't trust the notches on the valve.  Use the gauge.