Author Topic: Dry Hop Opinion for IPA  (Read 217 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
Dry Hop Opinion for IPA
« on: July 13, 2019, 07:16:53 PM »
I don't brew a lot of IPAs so this is uncommon territory for me.

I'm kegging a batch of IPA bittered with Simcoe and Centennial.

I was planning to dry hop with more Simcoe, but I also have Citra.  And more Centennial.  And Amarillo and who knows what else.

Just looking for opinions on a dry hop.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline TeeDubb

• Cellarman
  • San Jose, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Dry Hop Opinion for IPA
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 07:32:42 PM »
Simcoe and Citra in a 2:1, respectively, dry hop ratio work well.
Simcoe and Amarillo also pair very nicely.  Don't have my notebook handy for prior history. I think it was 1:1 ratio.

Offline dmtaylor

• Two Rivers, WI
    • View Profile
    • Manty Malters - Meet the Malters! - Dave Taylor
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 08:17:07 PM »
If you love cat piss, use Simcoe and Citra.

If you hate cat piss, use Centennial and Amarillo.

If you are indifferent to cat piss, then just pick one at random and see how you like it.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 08:34:38 PM »

If you are indifferent to cat piss, then just pick one at random and see how you like it.

Cat piss from Simcoe?  You need a better hop source!   :)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Two Rivers, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 03:58:44 AM »

Cat piss from Simcoe?  You need a better hop source!   :)

Sorry, I should be more specific:  Bobcat piss.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 04:12:44 AM »
I like all of those hop varieties. I am currently going to dry hop an IPA with Simcoe, Amarillo, and Citra. Centennial plays well with those also. So, it’s really up to you and I don’t think you can go wrong with any of those hops, but what do I know I might be sniffing too much bobcat piss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline Robert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 11:00:05 AM »
Dave, where do I get the sensory training kit to learn to distinguish bobcat piss from other cats' piss?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline dmtaylor

• Two Rivers, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 12:36:52 PM »
Dave, where do I get the sensory training kit to learn to distinguish bobcat piss from other cats' piss?

Go to the zoo.

It's also not far from meerkat piss.
Dave

Offline TeeDubb

• Cellarman
  • San Jose, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 02:16:26 PM »
I took a sensory evaluation of wine class at UC Davis many years ago and it made me appreciate the wide variation in how people taste and smell. This reinforces the need to do tasting panels when doing experiments.

I wonder if people have a 'love-it or hate-it" genetic predisposition to Citra or other hops. In the same manner that some despise cilantro (they detect a soapy taste) and others love it. Or how some people get stinky pee from eating asparagus and others do not. 

Offline Robert

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 02:36:06 PM »

I took a sensory evaluation of wine class at UC Davis many years ago and it made me appreciate the wide variation in how people taste and smell. This reinforces the need to do tasting panels when doing experiments.

I wonder if people have a 'love-it or hate-it" genetic predisposition to Citra or other hops. In the same manner that some despise cilantro (they detect a soapy taste) and others love it. Or how some people get stinky pee from eating asparagus and others do not.

I've long suspected that's the case.  I'm one of those averse to cilantro.  There are also people (me included) who cannot detect bitterness in many cruciferous vegetables, while others find them intolerable. These seem to me to be two different phenomena:  in one case we perceive a detected chemical differently, in the other some simply can't detect it at the same threshold.  In the case of these hops, Simcoe and Citra indeed have among the highest levels of 4MMP.  But people's perception of it seems to vary.  Not their ability to detect it, but how they react to it, finding it pleasant or not.  Study needed.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 07:00:09 PM »
Thanks for all the opinions.  I was leaning toward Citra, but am aware of the cat piss legends.  Never experienced it, but that doesn't mean its not real.

Tasting panel last night said it's good as it, don't mess.  So I'm going to skip the dry hopping.  Unless I change my mind.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton