Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Simple Cream Ale  (Read 6070 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Simple Cream Ale
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2019, 10:53:29 am »
Peach? I’ve never experienced that in any of the beers I ferment with US-05. I would like to have that note in my beers.

I've gotten it with every beer I've made with 05.  To the point that I won't use it any more.
Would peach work in a  NEIPA?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2019, 04:17:18 pm »
I'd just go with a good American 2 row base malt, all purpose stuff.  There's no advantage to 6 row, it's just skinnier grains with less starch to make sugar out of and more husk.  Even if you wanted it for "historical authenticity," it's not the same stuff the old timers had.  Buy the bulk 2 row and use it in everything.  As for diastatic power, 2 row and 6 row will both have at least 140 Lintner.  Your corn and barley flakes have 0.  All you really need to convert the mash is a total average of 30-40.  So you'll have more than double that.  Even a lower enzyme European malt would.  So don't worry about diastatic power.

Here’s a Brülosophy article concerning 2 vs 6 row:

http://brulosophy.com/2018/04/09/grain-comparison-2-row-pale-malt-vs-6-row-pale-malt-exbeeriment-results/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2019, 08:00:25 pm »
My go-to cream ale recipe is based on an interview with a guy named Curt Stock that I heard in a podcast. Off the top of my head he recommended 70 - 80% 2-row or pilsner malt. And the remaining being flaked corn... or a mix of flaked corn and flaked rice with a 2:1 ratio of corn to rice. The OG should end up around 1.050 to 1.055 with the ABV in the neighborhood of 5%

Curt says use a mild, crisp hop like Hallertauer or Saaz. I've used both of those and they work well but my favorite is Lemondrop hops and I've pretty much locked it in as the only variety I use in my cream ales. The IBU should be fairly low in the mid to upper teens but not much higher than 20 - 22 IBU. Your choice of Crystal should work well.

I forget how many batches Curt says he has made with a variety of yeasts but the one he swears by is Wyeast 1056. However the one yeast he says he has used often also is US-05 so you have chosen another winner.

Curt's recipe is 73% pilsner malt, 18% flaked corn and 9% flaked rice with Hallertauer to reach the IBU target. Usually two thirds of the hops for bittering and the remaining toward the end of the boil.

My recipe varies slightly using about 78% 2-row, 15% flaked corn and 7% flaked rice. I like the little extra body the higher percentage of base malt gives. Like you though, I have been kicking around the idea of using a touch of flaked barley for extra body. I use Lemondrop hops and target 20 IBU in each batch and I use the WYeast 1056 every time.

So my Cream Ale went into bottles today.

2.5 gal (into fermenter)
2 gal (into 21 bottles)

77% 2-Row
14% Flaked Corn
5% CaraPils
4% Dextrose

.25 Lemondrop FWH
.5 Lemondrop - 15 minutes
.25 Lemondrop - Dry Hop

US-05 - 2 weeks in primary at 68.

OG - 1.051
FG - 1.008
ABV - 5.63% (a bit more than I was expecting)

The US-05 took off at 8 hours, peeked at about 24-36 hours, and banged away for almost 5 days before finally peetering out.  What a trooper!   Dry hops went in with 4 days left.

The color came in around 3, with Morey being the correct predictor. 

The sample taste I took was nice and clean (no peach, at least not yet) with a slight but noticeable lemon nose.  I'm really liking the suggestion of the Lemondrop hops and a little upset I didn't use more (even though it really wouldn't have been "to style").  Thank you very much.

Anticipation is high.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2019, 08:28:27 am »
My go-to cream ale recipe is based on an interview with a guy named Curt Stock that I heard in a podcast. Off the top of my head he recommended 70 - 80% 2-row or pilsner malt. And the remaining being flaked corn... or a mix of flaked corn and flaked rice with a 2:1 ratio of corn to rice. The OG should end up around 1.050 to 1.055 with the ABV in the neighborhood of 5%

Curt says use a mild, crisp hop like Hallertauer or Saaz. I've used both of those and they work well but my favorite is Lemondrop hops and I've pretty much locked it in as the only variety I use in my cream ales. The IBU should be fairly low in the mid to upper teens but not much higher than 20 - 22 IBU. Your choice of Crystal should work well.

I forget how many batches Curt says he has made with a variety of yeasts but the one he swears by is Wyeast 1056. However the one yeast he says he has used often also is US-05 so you have chosen another winner.

Curt's recipe is 73% pilsner malt, 18% flaked corn and 9% flaked rice with Hallertauer to reach the IBU target. Usually two thirds of the hops for bittering and the remaining toward the end of the boil.

My recipe varies slightly using about 78% 2-row, 15% flaked corn and 7% flaked rice. I like the little extra body the higher percentage of base malt gives. Like you though, I have been kicking around the idea of using a touch of flaked barley for extra body. I use Lemondrop hops and target 20 IBU in each batch and I use the WYeast 1056 every time.

So my Cream Ale went into bottles today.

2.5 gal (into fermenter)
2 gal (into 21 bottles)

77% 2-Row
14% Flaked Corn
5% CaraPils
4% Dextrose

.25 Lemondrop FWH
.5 Lemondrop - 15 minutes
.25 Lemondrop - Dry Hop

US-05 - 2 weeks in primary at 68.

OG - 1.051
FG - 1.008
ABV - 5.63% (a bit more than I was expecting)

The US-05 took off at 8 hours, peeked at about 24-36 hours, and banged away for almost 5 days before finally peetering out.  What a trooper!   Dry hops went in with 4 days left.

The color came in around 3, with Morey being the correct predictor. 

The sample taste I took was nice and clean (no peach, at least not yet) with a slight but noticeable lemon nose.  I'm really liking the suggestion of the Lemondrop hops and a little upset I didn't use more (even though it really wouldn't have been "to style").  Thank you very much.

Anticipation is high.

Carapils and dextrose are kinda diametrically opposed .  Interesting choice.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2019, 08:46:01 am »

:D
"Interesting" is an interesting choice of words.

I had already purchased a 1# bag of CaraPils based on a few recipes that I saw and instead of having it sit in my closet, I decided to give it a shot.  If it does nothing or defeats the purpose, so be it.  Live and learn.
At least now, if I just throw the rest out, I can tell myself that at least I didn't waste it all.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2019, 08:49:22 am »

:D
"Interesting" is an interesting choice of words.

I had already purchased a 1# bag of CaraPils based on a few recipes that I saw and instead of having it sit in my closet, I decided to give it a shot.  If it does nothing or defeats the purpose, so be it.  Live and learn.
At least now, if I just throw the rest out, I can tell myself that at least I didn't waste it all.

Sure.  An alternative would be to keep the grain tightly sealed in a cool, dark place and use it in another recipe.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2019, 06:07:54 pm »

Finally getting to enjoy this Cream Ale. Came out pretty good, if I do say so myself. The lemondrop hops are coming through nicely (kinda wish I added more!), white, foamy, clingy head that sticks around almost to the bottom. A bit of yeastiness coming through. This was US-05, so maybe that *is* a peachy thing. Hmm. Hard to tell with the lemondrop. Anyway, I’m slowly raising the bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2019, 08:02:05 pm »

Finally getting to enjoy this Cream Ale. Came out pretty good, if I do say so myself. The lemondrop hops are coming through nicely (kinda wish I added more!), white, foamy, clingy head that sticks around almost to the bottom. A bit of yeastiness coming through. This was US-05, so maybe that *is* a peachy thing. Hmm. Hard to tell with the lemondrop. Anyway, I’m slowly raising the bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! Sounds delish. I just took a reading of my cream ale with rye and its about ready to package. Going to be interesting for sure but probably won’t come off as a cream ale though.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2019, 08:46:24 pm »
Once it clears that yeastiness could disappear.  Cheers!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2019, 08:52:57 pm »
Once it clears that yeastiness could disappear.  Cheers!

Agree with that. No disrespect but it looks a bit cloudy. The yeast flavor should drop as the beer clears.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2019, 04:00:42 am »
Yeah it’s definitely a bit cloudy. I didn’t use any finings and it’s only been in the fridge for a day, so this was an early test, for scientific purposes.  ;)

Hoping the haze will settle in a week or two. If it lasts that long.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2019, 05:43:07 am »
Absolutely. The data well collect is invaluable.