Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grrrr. Brewzilla pump quit during third use. Turns out....My fault.  (Read 838 times)

Offline Brüqettle

• 1st Kit
It says it all. I made two extract+grain kits, used the mash pipe for grains because I hate the cheesecloth bag and used the false bottom during boil to keep hops out of pump. Pump worked during "mash" and to circulate when I added extract.  Near the end it was vibrating slightly. Then I boiled with pump off. Beginning with transfer with the arm to primary I noticed it wasn't moving wort. Cleaned it out and no pump action...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 03:25:49 pm by Brüqettle »
Never cruel, never cowardly, and if you are apologize to your yeast.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Grrrr. Brewzilla pump quit during third use.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 04:44:35 pm »
Can you spin the fan with your fingers?  I don’t know much about Brewzilla but my Chuggar didn’t start once and I just spun it by hand and it worked. That’s the only problem I’ve ever had with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 09:20:16 pm »
Sorry to hear that.I have used my BrewZilla many times with no pump problems. The actual pump they use is inexpensive and may be easy to replace. Maybe it is still under warranty? I'm curious to know how it fares out

Offline Brüqettle

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 10:43:09 pm »
I'm a technical sort and pumps and electrical work certainly aren't foreign to me. I'm going to perform some maintenance on it tomorrow. Mt only issue with the Brewzilla set up is that the pump is installed inside the unit. I looked at exterior pump models but this was on sale and had great reviews and I thought I wouldn't have to break into it for a while. I expect it's just a fluke considering the reputation of the brand. Update later.

Offline Brüqettle

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 12:31:14 pm »
Wellll, my fault, kind of.  Over the fourth I used the secondary "cooker function" advertised for the unit. For corn. Apparently some corn threads found their way into the pump. Next time I'll avoid doing that or use cooking bags to keep things out. So no bad press for the company, just an embarrassing detour on my account.

Offline Brüqettle

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 12:50:34 pm »
OK, a couple of notes, because when we screw up we should learn as much as we can.

The internal aperture of the pump is a bit narrow, a few large grains might clog it. In fact, the corn thread only narrowed the aperture, husks then clogged it.

The top nut (furthest down when unit is upside down) requires manual dexterity to reinstall and can fall beneath the insulation. It's not entirely necessary as the pump bracket is threaded, but a nut rattling around in an appliance is dangerous, as any computer tech will tell you.

I hope my experience helps someone.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Grrrr. Brewzilla pump quit during third use. Turns out....My fault.
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2021, 04:13:27 pm »
Hell that's great news! Thanks for the clarification.