Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hop particles  (Read 2813 times)

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
Dry hop particles
« on: July 23, 2019, 12:48:17 pm »
This topic has been debated over and over, but raising it again. In order to get the particles out from dry hoping I filter by covering the front end of my siphon with a mesh hop bag. I transfer to 2ndary, cold crash, then keg. If I don't transfer to 2nday I get green bits in the beer.  My question s: is there a better way? Do I really have to worry about oxygenation?  It's a hoppy beer anyways so won't last more than 3 Mo's anyways.
Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.

Offline TeeDubb

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Jose, CA
Re: Dry hop particles
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 02:17:53 pm »
If transfers are not managed properly, and/or if you take a while to finish the keg, then yes, oxygen ingress really matters with hoppy beers. I would try and avoid transfers, if possible. Put a fine mesh screen (with a lot of surface area) around your dip tube like shown here, or use one of those floating dip tubes. I've had good results with both.

http://scottjanish.com/my-favorite-way-to-dry-hop-loose-in-primary-and-kegs/

http://www.clearbeerdraughtsystem.com/info.html
https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Top-Draw-Beer-Pick-Up-Tube-P4643.aspx

Offline baltocharlie

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 02:19:03 pm »

If transfers are not managed properly, and/or if you take a while to finish the keg, then yes, oxygen ingress really matters with hoppy beers. I would try and avoid transfers, if possible. Put a fine mesh screen (with a lot of surface area) around your dip tube like shown here, or use one of those floating dip tubes. I've had good results with both.

http://scottjanish.com/my-favorite-way-to-dry-hop-loose-in-primary-and-kegs/

http://www.clearbeerdraughtsystem.com/info.html
https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Top-Draw-Beer-Pick-Up-Tube-P4643.aspx

I was just about to ask people if they had experience with both of these systems.  I am looking to buy one of them.  I was thinking that the SS filter is easier to clean, thus easier to use. People rave about the clearbeer  top draw style.  I did read Scott Janish report (love his brewpub, Sapwood Cellars) so am leaning in this direction.  Which system do you prefer? Anyone else have a preference?
Thanks

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 05:51:50 pm »
I use the Clear Beer floating dip tube.  There’s nothing about it I don’t like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 06:11:35 pm »
I've only got the Clear Beer systems, just recently started using them.  But I know that in researching my options, I heard of people having trouble with other systems where the tube is just loosely hooked to the float, as it can float up on its own, become "unsubmerged," and just draw gas.  The Clear Beer is designed so that the the intake is positively held an inch or two below the surface.   I figured it was worth the extra money to take no chances.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline baltocharlie

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 05:11:34 am »
I use the Clear Beer floating dip tube.  There’s nothing about it I don’t like.

Thanks, that a good recommendation.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 05:13:23 am »
I have also been using the Clear Beer dip tube system in several of my kegs for over a year. Works great!
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline baltocharlie

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 05:14:21 am »
I've only got the Clear Beer systems, just recently started using them.  But I know that in researching my options, I heard of people having trouble with other systems where the tube is just loosely hooked to the float, as it can float up on its own, become "unsubmerged," and just draw gas.  The Clear Beer is designed so that the the intake is positively held an inch or two below the surface.   I figured it was worth the extra money to take no chances.

Good to know that they are better than the knock offs.  They are pricey. Both systems are not cheap. You guys are making me lean towards the Clearbeer.

Offline baltocharlie

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 05:15:10 am »
I have also been using the Clear Beer dip tube system in several of my kegs for over a year. Works great!

Thanks,Another for CB

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 08:35:53 am »
To avoid particles I only dry hop with whole cone hops.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline baltocharlie

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2019, 08:46:00 am »
I hear you. I use to only brew with whole hops, actually prefer them. My entire system was built around them. Unfortunately many newer hops are difficult to find in whole leaf. Thus I now brew with both.  I do find I get better aroma from pellets when dry hopping loose in a keg and lose less beer.   Plus pellets are easier to store in a freezer.  But now have to deal with upgrades to accommodate the pellets.   

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2019, 08:50:32 am »
I dry hop by putting pellets in a stainless mesh tube that has dental floss tied to the top. The floss can come out the top of the fermentor and the gasket will still seal over it. You can pull out the hops whenever you want, and I have never had a problem with particles from them.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Robert

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2019, 08:57:38 am »
I dry hop by putting pellets in a stainless mesh tube that has dental floss tied to the top. The floss can come out the top of the fermentor and the gasket will still seal over it. You can pull out the hops whenever you want, and I have never had a problem with particles from them.
But note that you couldn't do that with a floating dip tube of any sort.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline baltocharlie

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2019, 08:59:31 am »

I used this for dry hopping with medium results.  I get better aroma with loose hop pellets.
https://utahbiodieselsupply.com/brewingfilters.php#cornydryhopper

Offline baltocharlie

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2019, 09:03:00 am »

[/quote]But note that you couldn't do that with a floating dip tube of any sort.
[/quote]

I use this with whole hops, they float, does not clog with whole hops.  Now pellets are a different beast all together. They sink and love to clog.
https://www.homebrewing.org/Corny-Keg-Dip-Tube-Screen_p_2091.html