Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pepper Beers: Ghost & Serranos  (Read 815 times)

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
Pepper Beers: Ghost & Serranos
« on: July 24, 2019, 11:01:54 am »
I make a jalapeño blonde, an oak/mesquite smoked jalapeño light brown, and a habanero strong ale. I’ve yet to create a recipe for serranos, but was thinking of something like a porter. But what of ghost peppers now that I found some in my grocery store? And how many would you use in a 5.25 gal batch if you are looking for a very hot beer?

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
Re: Pepper Beers: Ghost & Serranos
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 11:57:19 am »
My wife brewed a saison then added a tincture of scorpion peppers to it at kegging time. If I remember correctly she soaked 2 or 3 scorpion peppers in vodka for a few days. The she added the tincture to taste. I believe she used 9 tsp of the tincture in 3 gal of beer. To me, it was hot but not overbearing. I was able to drink about one pint in a sitting. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Brandon

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 03:49:27 pm »
A saison might be a good style for the ghost peppers. Hadn’t thought of that.

I seem to have a higher threshold for spice so I suppose I’ll start with 7.

For extracts I’ve been using 50/50 Everclear and letting them sit for weeks to pull about as much as I can from them and add at bottling.

Thanks!

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 04:51:00 pm »
Let me know how it turns out. I really liked the flavor profile of the saison with the scorpion peppers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 11:38:20 am »
Green Flash makes/made a stout with serranos. Not a lot of heat but not a lot of flavor, either. Serranos are a low flavor chile so unless you use a lot you will end up with a little heat and not much flavor.

There is a brewery in Dallas that releases a brown ale with ghost peppers. Last I talked to them they were using one chile per five gallon keg. Low to moderate heat but you can definitely taste the chile.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing