Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1 gal batch brewing - priming and bottling ?  (Read 1169 times)

Offline KCguy

• Assistant Brewer
1 gal batch brewing - priming and bottling ?
« on: July 29, 2019, 11:12:16 am »
Got my first ever 1 gal batch ready for bottling.  Im used to 5g batches, so I know I need to source a 2g bucket to rack from the primary, before bottling.  Bought my mini siphon. 

How much corn sugar/other sugar to prime a 1g batch?  Std batches call for 5 oz, so Im guessing one oz of corn sugar?  To about 3-4 fl ounces of water? 

Im guessing I'll get around 10 bottles of beer from this batch? 
Drinkin Tripels, Seeing Double, Feelin Single...

Michael B
Kansas City

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: 1 gal batch brewing - priming and bottling ?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 11:17:32 am »
In my experience, 1 ounce of priming sugar is very likely to be way too much and result in very high carbonation or gushers.  But it depends...

Volume measurement will be critical, and be sure to exclude the inch of trub at the bottom.  Do you really have 1.00 gallons, or do you actually have 0.9 or 0.8 gallons?  In any case, you'll be lucky to get 10 bottles out of it.  Probably can expect roughly 6-8 bottles, depending on exact volume of liquid beer to be bottled.

From the volume to be bottled, whatever that is, I recommend 2 tablespoons sugar per 1.00 gallons.  So if you really have 0.8 gallons to be bottled, for instance, then use 1.6 tablespoons sugar.

Hope this helps.  I've been bottling every batch (currently on about #150) for the past 20 years, and have been a small batch brewer for about the last 10 years.  Cheers and good luck.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: 1 gal batch brewing - priming and bottling ?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 11:29:55 am »
FWIW, 1 oz. per gal. is my standard.  IMO, I get a high carb level, but not too high.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell