Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cream Ale  (Read 2246 times)

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
Re: Cream Ale
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2019, 03:04:17 pm »
used a 3-day starter for the initial 1007 and then a 1-day starter for the 05, dumped it in when it was most vigorous upon swirling about in the flask.

Everything went smoothly with mash, boil, and then ferm. Temp stable at 55, then at 73 with the second yeast.

I only have a hydrometer, but I calibrate it with water and it zeros out. Adjusted for temp. Never tried another measurement tool. 

Seems like it was all fermentable, 2 row, sugar, maize, and the 149 mash temp, so should have finished very low I would think. Maybe it's time to invest in some new measurement tools.
Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2019, 03:28:12 pm »
I'd start by confirming that the thermometer is correctly calibrated.   But it might not be related  to instruments.   How are you measuring/sampling the mash temperature?   Are you recirculating?  If not, are you sure the point where you're taking the temperature is representative of the temperature throughout the whole mash bed?  If you're really mashing just a few degrees higher,  say 153F, then that's pretty respectable attenuation you got.   (Unlike with my previous posts in this thread my brain is working now.  I'll stand by this.)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2019, 04:13:15 pm »
used a 3-day starter for the initial 1007 and then a 1-day starter for the 05, dumped it in when it was most vigorous upon swirling about in the flask.

Everything went smoothly with mash, boil, and then ferm. Temp stable at 55, then at 73 with the second yeast.

I only have a hydrometer, but I calibrate it with water and it zeros out. Adjusted for temp. Never tried another measurement tool. 

Seems like it was all fermentable, 2 row, sugar, maize, and the 149 mash temp, so should have finished very low I would think. Maybe it's time to invest in some new measurement tools.

Not that I think it's the issue here, but using a starter with dry yeast can result in poorer performance
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2019, 08:20:24 am »
What was the result of testing the thermometer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2019, 10:00:58 am »
Decided to run this through BrewersFreind and based upon 74% efficiency in a 5.5 gallon batch it projects OG of 1.071 and FG of 1.015 with WY1007 yeast.

So seeing that, you may have undershot your gravity, but still close to projections.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2019, 10:04:23 am »
Decided to run this through BrewersFreind and based upon 74% efficiency in a 5.5 gallon batch it projects OG of 1.071 and FG of 1.015 with WY1007 yeast.

So seeing that, you may have undershot your gravity, but still close to projections.

FWIW, no software can accurately predict FG.  But it's always fun to see what they say.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2019, 11:56:34 pm »
What was the result of testing the thermometer?

Tried two. Both thermometers were the same. One was a candy thermometer, one digital.
Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.

Offline BrewBama

Cream Ale
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2019, 08:38:15 am »
Hmmmm. I thought you may have mashed closer to 155*F vs 149*F.

Is your efficiency for this batch fairly consistent?