Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Basement System Finally Done  (Read 4361 times)

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
Basement System Finally Done
« on: September 19, 2019, 11:07:07 am »
It’s been a long time coming, but it is finally done!

I used to brew in an open garage with a propane burner – rain or shine – in Georgia. Water was nice and soft, summers were miserable, but I didn’t care; I was making beer! Moved to Ohio a few years back and haven’t brewed since. Having kids and all – little to no time to brew. Kids are 2 and 4 now – time to get back at it!

It all started as just plans to add a sink in the basement with the thought that I’d brew as usual – in the garage with my trusty ol’ bayou burner, and schlep the chilled wort down to the basement, as I did in Georgia, to pitch and aerate, then into the chill chest to ferment ‘til done, also in the basement. Things didn’t go exactly as planned. Do they ever?

The plumbing and electrical were completely reworked in that first wall and it eventually turned into the highlight of the unfinished side of the basement. My wife helped with the design to be sure things looked good, and I did all the work myself to save money. When the wall was done, my wife said “Hey, why don’t you just complete the build to include a new basement brewery system?” I think she was tired of helping me schlep the carboy down to the basement and all that.

I thought; hmmm… a new electric basement build? She’s giving me the green light on this without me even having to ask?! Sweeeeeeet. I hopped online, did a bunch of research, and went nuts at a few vendor sites (High Gravity, SS Brewtech, Bargain Fittings, BrewHardware, etc.) and before I knew it, all was purchased and on its way! Then it hit me; I have no idea how to use any of this stuff!

As I was doing the wiring and installing hardware, I was also conducting several thought experiments to work through on paper the issues of getting this stuff dialed in. That proved to be very helpful because when I finally put power to the system for the very first time, everything worked perfectly. I then walked through the entire brewing process with just tap water in the kettles, heating the strike water, fly-sparging, boiling, chilling – it all worked flawlessly the first time. No grain, of course, it was just a trial run to see if the electrics and water handling systems were working as planned.

Ok, without further ado, here are some shots of the build. This spanned a few months as again, a 2- and 4-year old and a full-time job to boot – very little time to work on the brewery build.

Sink Wall – Before. This is where it all began…

Sink Wall – After. Was pretty proud of finally finishing this wall, but still had no idea what was to come…

Brewery Wall – Before. Had no idea I’d be putting anything in that area other than that treadmill you see on the left. I was starting to add some receptacles as there were very few in that space.

Water Softener and RO System Installed. We needed to do this anyway as our water was pretty hard. Figured I’d have the installers add a tap at my brewing sink to provide straight RO. Another line comes out of the RO system and goes to a cartridge that adds minerals back in for flavor – that line goes upstairs to the fridge in the kitchen for drinking water and ice production – my wife insisted on this part – if I was getting RO for the brewery, she was getting good drinking water for the kitchen.

Condensate Hood Installed. Had it custom-built for my space and ducted with 8” aluminum ducting – all rigid to stay to code, and a Vortex S-800 in-line blower (super quiet) with bleeder valves at the low points to periodically drain any condensate that collects in the ducting. Yes, it ducts outside. Hood has a full perimeter gutter and drain in the back-right corner, and lights mounted inside the hood so I can see what the heck I’m doing.

Brewery Wiring Completed. This took the longest because I really wanted to be sure I got it right without having to redo anything (measure twice, cut once, they say). Figured I’d use rigid conduit to be sure nothing would get damaged by unintentional contact with who knows what. The safety switch is there so I can isolate the 240 V circuit completely without having to go back to the main panel. It stays off when the system is not being used. The breaker in the main panel feeding this system is a 30 A GFCI so we’re good there. The 20 A receptacles in this unfinished area are all on the load side of a GFCI receptacle in compliance with code.

Table Arrived. This gives the space some boundaries finally. I can see how everything is going to line up on that wall.

The rest of the equipment arrived – getting closer…

Brewery System Completed. This is the money shot! All done and ready to go.

Completed Brewery Space. My wife insisted on having one shot that showed the brewery equipment AND our new sink! Well, here it is…

Did a test brew a few weeks ago and got 82% brewhouse efficiency (used to average around 74%). First time fly-sparging, also. System worked as expected and although there were still a few kinks to work out with logistics and timing, I think this first test brew went very well. Nailed most of my targets, except OG due to the unexpected efficiency (I blame the sparge – it went better than I expected). Still have a few tweaks to make in BS2 to account for volumes (tubing, pumps, HERMS coil, etc.) – they were close but could be closer. Suffice it to say; I’m very pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 11:15:11 am by philm63 »
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Basement System Finally Done
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 11:17:14 am »
That’s a good lookin brewery!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 11:47:02 am »
I admire the amount of effort and dedication that took.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 12:57:03 pm »
Thanks, guys. It is a lot of fun learning how to use this new system - quite different from the bayou burner in the garage and glass carboys. Both systems can make good beer, though.
AHA Member

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 01:06:58 pm »
Congratulations!  Beautiful job.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 01:22:08 pm »
Wow!  Very nice!

I've got a woodworking shop but I could never convince my life to me build that. 

Enjoy it and use it often!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 01:50:56 pm »
I started laughing at the beginning of your post because the open garage, propane burner, etc. is exactly how I brew.  :)
This gives me hope that someday I might be on a system that looks like yours.  Bravo!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 01:37:04 pm »
Congrats.  That is spiffy!

A lot of work and thought went into a well executed plan.  May you enjoy it for many years to come.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 09:30:05 am »
   My respect to you for taking enough pride in your workmanship to do a well though out, professional looking job, nothing to critique on that build. My only question is if you prefer electric to gas or LP, and if so why. With the very impressive looking and I'm sure pricey hood, venting of combustion products shouldn't be a problem.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 12:28:48 pm »
  ... My only question is if you prefer electric to gas or LP, and if so why. With the very impressive looking and I'm sure pricey hood, venting of combustion products shouldn't be a problem.

This was something new for me - a whole new direction as opposed to my old system which took quite a bit more manual intervention, lifting, milling the grain with an electric drill on a Barley Crusher, etc.

Honestly, I do not have a preference between gas and electric, it's just that I had never tried electric and this system gave me an opportunity to build from scratch, and it just so happened I leaned toward electric for this one. Being an electrical engineer may also have had an influence…

No regrets - this system is a lot of fun to use, and I look forward to brewing a lot more now that I have it. Weather is no longer an issue, and lifting has also been taken out of the equation as all liquids are moved with pumps. My mill is a motorized Malt Muncher so I expect a bit more consistency in the crush department. I have all of my stuff in one place now – everything happens in this space from grain to glass.
AHA Member

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2019, 09:54:22 am »
   You might at some point want to consider physically separating your grain storage from the rest of your brewery, the number one source of microbial contamination in breweries is the grain. That being said, my grain is stored in my fermentation room, we all operate within the confines of what is possible.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!