Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Late Addition of Yeast Nutrient?  (Read 3113 times)

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
Late Addition of Yeast Nutrient?
« on: July 24, 2019, 03:54:31 pm »
I just realized I forgot to add the yeast nutrient 3 weeks ago. Is there something I can do with it? Make another starter and use it there?

The yeast tolerance is something like 9-9.5% and it’s suppose to hit around 12%.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Late Addition of Yeast Nutrient?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 04:11:39 pm »
I just realized I forgot to add the yeast nutrient 3 weeks ago. Is there something I can do with it? Make another starter and use it there?

The yeast tolerance is something like 9-9.5% and it’s suppose to hit around 12%.

Yeast alcohol tolerance is a fuzzy and inexact thing.  I'd let it ride.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 05:56:11 pm »

Yeast alcohol tolerance is a fuzzy and inexact thing.  I'd let it ride.

And three weeks is pretty far along in any event.  You will likely be fine.  Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 05:58:44 pm »
Wouldn’t that much residual sugar be sweet?

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 06:10:36 pm »
Checked the gravity and found it at 1.042. It is supposed to hit about 1.021.

Would this even bottle carb??? Seems unlikely. Regardless I’m not happy with this. Is there any reason not to make a small starter and add yeast nutrient to that?

*EDIT *

A bit of background. I’ve been keeping US-05 going as I found it to give slightly higher attenuation and flocculation. I make a 1.5 qt starter using 6 oz of DME and save the pint using a quart. For this beer I doubled it since the OG was so high.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 06:23:00 pm by rodwha »

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 07:17:20 am »

Would this even bottle carb??? Seems unlikely. Regardless I’m not happy with this. Is there any reason not to make a small starter and add yeast nutrient to that?

*EDIT *

A bit of background. I’ve been keeping US-05 going as I found it to give slightly higher attenuation and flocculation. I make a 1.5 qt starter using 6 oz of DME and save the pint using a quart. For this beer I doubled it since the OG was so high.
I would actually make a big starter to finish it up. That is your best shot to bring FG down. 3 weeks is way too long fermentation.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 08:04:49 am »

*EDIT *

what was the OG? 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 08:15:26 am »
Wouldn’t that much residual sugar be sweet?

Not necessarily

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 08:16:14 am »

*EDIT *

Until you do a FFT you have no idea if it will help.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2019, 10:44:28 am »

*EDIT *

what was the OG? 

Just to be sure on this - you are measuring the current gravity with a hydrometer?  A refractometer would not give you an accurate current gravity without adjustment.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2019, 12:09:31 pm »

*EDIT *

I would actually make a big starter to finish it up. That is your best shot to bring FG down. 3 weeks is way too long fermentation.

Why would 3 weeks of fermentation be too long? Seems initially I had read that fermentation is typically done within a week or so, but that allowing it to warm to room temp and sit that the yeast will “clean up” after themselves eating some of what they produced.

I’ve never done shorter than 2 weeks with 3 being typical. I figured I’d let this go for 5-6 weeks being such a high gravity.

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 12:10:12 pm »

*EDIT *

what was the OG?

It was targeted to be 1.113 but hit 1.109.

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 12:11:00 pm »

*EDIT *

FFT??? Sorry, I’m clueless as to what this stands for.

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2019, 12:11:59 pm »

*EDIT *

what was the OG? 

Just to be sure on this - you are measuring the current gravity with a hydrometer?  A refractometer would not give you an accurate current gravity without adjustment.

I use a hydrometer for everything. I don’t own a refractometer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 12:13:36 pm »

*EDIT *

FFT??? Sorry, I’m clueless as to what this stands for.

Forced ferment test.  You take a little, add a massive amount of yeast to ti (even bread yeast) and leave it at room temp.  The purpose is to see if the wort is fermentable.  If the gravity goes down after doing that, then additional yeast in the batch might help.  If it doesn't got down, them you have a wort issue and more yeast won't help.

www.dennybrew.com