Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Slaked Lime  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Buddylee000

• 1st Kit
Slaked Lime
« on: July 25, 2019, 10:41:05 am »
Is food grade slaked lime okay to use? I noticed on the back of the package that there is a small amount of sodium 10mg, potassium 35mg, and iron 10 mg per 100g serving. I'm thinking this is a negligible amount but just curious.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Slaked Lime
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 11:35:46 am »
Is food grade slaked lime okay to use? I noticed on the back of the package that there is a small amount of sodium 10mg, potassium 35mg, and iron 10 mg per 100g serving. I'm thinking this is a negligible amount but just curious.

It will be safe to use, but it clearly is not pure calcium hydroxide (slaked lime,) so it won't do what you're looking for in the mash according to your calculations.  I use the Pickling Lime they sell at WalMart, which is pure calcium hydroxide (judging both by the label information and testing with acid.)  Can't recall the brand name, but it's the only one I've seen there.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 12:00:21 pm »

It will be safe to use, but it clearly is not pure calcium hydroxide (slaked lime,) so it won't do what you're looking for in the mash according to your calculations.  I use the Pickling Lime they sell at WalMart, which is pure calcium hydroxide (judging both by the label information and testing with acid.)  Can't recall the brand name, but it's the only one I've seen there.
It's Mrs. Wages.  My local Walmart did not have it, but Amazon did, as I just bought some.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Online BrewBama

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 12:40:25 pm »
They’ll start stocking it late Summer/early Fall for folks to pickle their garden vegetables. Look around the cookware near the canning supplies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 01:58:32 pm »

Your slaked lime is fine.  It is something like ~99.9% pure.  No such thing as 100% pure calcium hydroxide.