Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stressed/Revived Yeast Consequences?  (Read 1027 times)

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
Stressed/Revived Yeast Consequences?
« on: July 29, 2019, 05:55:57 pm »
I received in the mail a couple of weeks ago a warm vial of yeast from White Labs that I had ordered last fall as part of the Vault program ("Release the Yeast")--the yeast I ordered was WLP 025 Southwold Ale Yeast. Just my luck that enough orders were placed for it to ship during the hot part of the summer, but overall I'm thrilled to try out this yeast.

White Labs said in an email to me that they are in the process of changing their delivery options, but up to then, it was sent by ground mail--so it took probably a week to get to where I live in Massachusetts from California. The ice pack sent with it was warm, of course. The company said in its email that it would replace the yeast if it wasn't good--I appreciated the guarantee.

But I made a starter and it came to life just fine. I'm hoping to use it later this week or in early fall in an English pale ale.

So my question is this: are there any possible consequences on flavor, etc. that I should be aware of before using it? The starter smelled/looked fine, and my first thought is that it is probably OK, but any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks.
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Stressed/Revived Yeast Consequences?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 06:49:33 pm »
I think you've answered your own question:  came to life, seems fine.  Sure, you probably lost some cells in transit, but new cells grown from the survivors should be no different than any other starter.  No different than if it had sat in your fridge a long time losing viability.  When you pitch your batch, you'll have your normal volume of fresh yeast.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 07:37:02 pm »
If the starter woke it up, then it will turn out just fine.  If it took like a whole week to wake up, then I'd worry.  But assuming it happened within a matter of 36 hours or less, you're fine.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 06:18:27 am »
If the starter woke it up, then it will turn out just fine.  If it took like a whole week to wake up, then I'd worry.  But assuming it happened within a matter of 36 hours or less, you're fine.
I’ve had several times using old yeast that have taken nearly a week to show signs of life. The beers ended up being ok. Do you worry because of infection?  I just bought fresh Giga021 from Mbeer. Bought the insulated shipping and added extra ice packs. Insulated with 3 ice packs and 3 packs of yeast. Came on second day and was warm already. Liquid in summer is difficult

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 07:19:30 am »
I’ve had several times using old yeast that have taken nearly a week to show signs of life. The beers ended up being ok. Do you worry because of infection?  I just bought fresh Giga021 from Mbeer. Bought the insulated shipping and added extra ice packs. Insulated with 3 ice packs and 3 packs of yeast. Came on second day and was warm already. Liquid in summer is difficult

I've been bit by infections way more times than I should admit.  I don't risk infections anymore.  I'll underpitch *slightly*, but if the yeast isn't healthy, I'll throw it away before trying to revive it.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 10:28:40 am »

I've been bit by infections way more times than I should admit.  I don't risk infections anymore.  I'll underpitch *slightly*, but if the yeast isn't healthy, I'll throw it away before trying to revive it.
Good to know, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B