Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Saison 1 WLP Dupont strain  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
Saison 1 WLP Dupont strain
« on: July 08, 2019, 10:55:26 am »
Never used this strain before. After reading up on its potential for stalling I took the following measures: Made a healthy starter, pitched warmer, used an opened ferment (carboy with just some sterilized foil covering mouth of the bottle), placed carboy in a hot water heater closet with temps in the 80's, fingers crossed.

My question: After all these years of homebrewing I've never really had an overflow problem. Call me very lucky. Alas, under the above-mentioned conditions, sure enough, I had a puddle of krausen around the carboy this morning. I wiped it up, nothing a few paper towels couldn't handle and now my hot water heater closet smells wonderful. However, I am inexperienced with this situation and I am wondering 1. could the overflow cause an infection (probably not right?), and 2. does the overflow cause a significant loss of yeast, enough that I now need to be concerned about fermentation finishing?
Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Saison 1 WLP Dupont strain
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 11:26:01 am »
1- no

2 - I think you will be fine.

Keep that temperature up. Mid 80s or higher. If it stalls, wait a week or so, I've had it start up again and finish.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 11:43:13 am »
DuPont strains benefit from open fermentation to prevent stalling.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 06:33:45 am »
Never used this strain before. After reading up on its potential for stalling I took the following measures: Made a healthy starter, pitched warmer, used an opened ferment (carboy with just some sterilized foil covering mouth of the bottle), placed carboy in a hot water heater closet with temps in the 80's, fingers crossed.

My question: After all these years of homebrewing I've never really had an overflow problem. Call me very lucky. Alas, under the above-mentioned conditions, sure enough, I had a puddle of krausen around the carboy this morning. I wiped it up, nothing a few paper towels couldn't handle and now my hot water heater closet smells wonderful. However, I am inexperienced with this situation and I am wondering 1. could the overflow cause an infection (probably not right?), and 2. does the overflow cause a significant loss of yeast, enough that I now need to be concerned about fermentation finishing?
How did it turn out? 
I love this yeast and use it as my main Saison goto. I’ve never had it stall, knock on wood. I generally use a fermenter with a lot of headspace. Pitch an active starter w plenty of 02. I pitch it at 65 and let it free rise to ambient. It, like most, get better with every generation.   I did just get some 3726 to try for the first time. I keep trying others on split batches. I always return to this yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 07:26:57 am »
I have used WLP-565 (the Dupont strain) in my Saison and have had it stall.  Obviously I can't do open fermentation.  Yes, it does restart after about a week or so but I switched to Wyeast French Saison yeast (3711) a few years back and have had great results with it.  Just another idea.

As a close friend, Frank Barickman, who owns the Restoration Breworks in Delaware, Ohio once told me, "it can't get hot enough for a saison."  I start mine at about 75 degrees and let it free-rise to around 90 degrees.  That way I get the desired phenolics in the beer and have won several medals with this process.  My latest one started at 15 degrees Plato (1.061 for SG folks) for the and three days later is down to 1.65 (1.006) degrees Plato.  It is still bubbling a bit so it should get down to 1 degree Plato in the next few days.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 07:28:44 am by goose »
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 07:35:02 am »
I have used WLP-565 (the Dupont strain) in my Saison and have had it stall.  Obviously I can't do open fermentation.  Yes, it does restart after about a week or so but I switched to Wyeast French Saison yeast (3711) a few years back and have had great results with it.  Just another idea.

As another aside, I've had Belle Saison "stall" before.  I think it's the same as 3711.  But figured out that it hadn't really stalled, but just slows waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down for a few weeks before it hits its goal of 1.002.  Just need patience with this one.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 08:07:42 am »

As another aside, I've had Belle Saison "stall" before.  I think it's the same as 3711.  But figured out that it hadn't really stalled, but just slows waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down for a few weeks before it hits its goal of 1.002.  Just need patience with this one.

+1
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 08:17:45 am »
Keep in mind that the DuPont strain needs to be open fermented to avoid a stall.  It was probably the most positive result we've gotten for any experiment we've done.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 06:58:36 pm »
DuPont has always frustrated me. 3711 is ok but not the character I want. Just used saisonstein from omega labs. I think it’s a blend of the two. Fermented out great and tastes great. Might be my new saison yeast. And yes I’ve done open and hot with DuPont.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton