Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Hop Opinion for IPA  (Read 2411 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Dry Hop Opinion for IPA
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2019, 12:23:23 pm »
The IPA, non-dry hopped, was a hit and the keg floated.

I'm planning to re-brew for our fall block party and may throw some dry hops at it that time.

Outstanding! 

I’ve been goofing with different flame out/whirlpool/hop stands and I can’t tell much difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Dry Hop Opinion for IPA
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2019, 05:02:04 pm »

It is genetic, Stan Hieronymus has talked about that.

Good to know.  I don't suppose you have a handy reference?

Just ran across it in the book "For the Love of Hops" by Stan Herionymous. See pg 39 in the section "Why You Smell Tomahto and I Smell..."

On the next page is a quote from Keller at Rockefeller University, who says "Everybody's olfactory world is a unique, private world." That quote is referenced as coming from a Scientific American Article from 2011 titled "You Smell Flowers, I Smell Stale Urine".
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2019, 05:20:59 pm »

It is genetic, Stan Hieronymus has talked about that.

Good to know.  I don't suppose you have a handy reference?

Just ran across it in the book "For the Love of Hops" by Stan Herionymous. See pg 39 in the section "Why You Smell Tomahto and I Smell..."

On the next page is a quote from Keller at Rockefeller University, who says "Everybody's olfactory world is a unique, private world." That quote is referenced as coming from a Scientific American Article from 2011 titled "You Smell Flowers, I Smell Stale Urine".
Thanks.  I've got that book but didn't remember that being in there.  I'll have a look!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2019, 11:54:09 am »
I wonder if people have a 'love-it or hate-it" genetic predisposition to Citra or other hops. In the same manner that some despise cilantro (they detect a soapy taste) and others love it. Or how some people get stinky pee from eating asparagus and others do not.

It's quite probable. I encountered the phenomenon early in life when my science teacher tested the class for PTC tasters.

https://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/basics/ptc/
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!