Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP885 Zurich Lager  (Read 1414 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
WLP885 Zurich Lager
« on: October 18, 2019, 05:45:56 pm »
So I ordered some WLP860 Munich Helles that never ended up being delivered.  I actually forgot about it and just remembered the other day and contacted White Labs.  A super nice lady named Heidi checked and verified that they had a label problem and it was never sent.  It was in March 2018!  Nevertheless she offered to make it up to me by sending the current Platinum strain WLP885.  Shout out to White Labs and their customer service....

Now to my question.  What the heck should I make with this?  I'm not so sure I want a 14% Samichlaus.  Thoughts from the forum?

Thanks in advance!

DZ
Dave Zach

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: WLP885 Zurich Lager
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 03:33:30 pm »
Never used WLP885, but I've used the dry version in marzen with good results.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 06:27:02 am »
It is a clean lager strain that is suitable for any lager - try a Helles, if you want to see what the yeast is like (assuming you enjoy that style).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 08:02:13 am »
I would give it a try. Brew the Helles. If you like it,  use the harvested yeast for a big Doppelbock.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 12:23:27 pm »
I would give it a try. Brew the Helles. If you like it,  use the harvested yeast for a big Doppelbock.

I like it.....
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 10:42:32 am »
So I made the Helles and pitched a ton of yeast.  Two weeks later the beer was only down to 1.024.  I was fermenting at 52F but surprised it was not done.  I decided to ramp up the temp to 68 to burn it out to make the Dopplebock this weekend right on the yeast cake.  I did this yesterday hoping to burn it out by Sunday. 

Did I just ruin the Helles?  Wondering if that much of a diacetyl rest will do more harm than good.  Too late now, just wondering before I test it again.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 11:22:12 am »
So I made the Helles and pitched a ton of yeast.  Two weeks later the beer was only down to 1.024.  I was fermenting at 52F but surprised it was not done.  I decided to ramp up the temp to 68 to burn it out to make the Dopplebock this weekend right on the yeast cake.  I did this yesterday hoping to burn it out by Sunday. 

Did I just ruin the Helles?  Wondering if that much of a diacetyl rest will do more harm than good.  Too late now, just wondering before I test it again.

Dave

Nope, that's perfect.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 11:27:13 am »
Hey Denny, long time!  Thanks for the reply.
Dave Zach

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 11:35:43 am »
Hey Denny, long time!  Thanks for the reply.

Good to "see" ya!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell