Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My new home brew hero (besides Denny!)  (Read 1635 times)

Offline AzBruin

• Cellarman
My new home brew hero (besides Denny!)
« on: July 15, 2019, 08:59:19 am »
A few months ago, I got a copy of Drew and Denny's "Experimental Homebrewing", and I quickly read it cover to cover. It became one of my favorite beer books. So, recently, surfing on the Amazon, I found another "Drew & Denny" book, "Homebrew All-Stars", so naturally, getting that book was a moral imperative! (I use that phrase a lot with the wife, to justify some of my beer related purchases).
Anyway, on page 42, I was introduced to my new hero, Fred Bonjour. Right at the top of the page, he says "Everything under 1.100 is a session beer". ;)
He also likes most of the same ales I like, Imperial stouts, wee heavy, barleywine. He also mentioned dark mild ale, considering it a yeast starter for real beer!
I think we are psychically connected!

Hats off to Fred!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: My new home brew hero (besides Denny!)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 09:01:11 am »
Fred was a guest on the podcast we did from HBC that came out a couple weeks ago.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline AzBruin

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 09:06:12 am »
Fred was a guest on the podcast we did from HBC that came out a couple weeks ago.

Well, Denny, I'm not the most technological person you've ever met, and I've been accused of being a Luddite. I prefer curmudgeon, myself.
Truth is, I'm not sure what a podcast is, let alone if you watch it on TV, or the computer, or listen to it on the radio. Not real sure what "streaming" entails either.

But, I do read a lot!

EDIT: Yup, my fanciest piece of equipment in the Bruin Room is a simple temp controller and chest freezer. I have to break out the controller instruction sheet every time I want to change the fermentation temp.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 09:16:31 am by AzBruin »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 09:33:06 am »

Well, Denny, I'm not the most technological person you've ever met, and I've been accused of being a Luddite. I prefer curmudgeon, myself.
Truth is, I'm not sure what a podcast is, let alone if you watch it on TV, or the computer, or listen to it on the radio. Not real sure what "streaming" entails either.

But, I do read a lot!

EDIT: Yup, my fanciest piece of equipment in the Bruin Room is a simple temp controller and chest freezer. I have to break out the controller instruction sheet every time I want to change the fermentation temp.

In the case of ours, you listem to it on your computer or phone.  Here's a link if you want to give it a try. 

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-96-dancing-con-con
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline AzBruin

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 01:45:43 pm »

But, I do read a lot!

In the case of ours, you listem to it on your computer or phone.  Here's a link if you want to give it a try. 

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-96-dancing-con-con

Well, that's handy! I have a phone AND a puter! I even fired up the puter a couple months ago to print some tax forms!

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 09:45:14 am »

But, I do read a lot!

And here I thought I was the last living example of the genus, but I prefer taxonomical classification of "Cranktankerous Old Crustacean" myself. Bet that I do have the last functioning coal fired, rotary dial, party line flip phone though.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 09:59:13 am »
Not real sure what "streaming" entails either.

I think that "streaming" involves drinking a lot of beer first.

A few years back I saw a car with license plate "IP VIDEO". I asked the driver if it came streaming out of YouTube.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline AzBruin

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 10:18:44 am »

But, I do read a lot!

And here I thought I was the last living example of the genus, but I prefer taxonomical classification of "Cranktankerous Old Crustacean" myself. Bet that I do have the last functioning coal fired, rotary dial, party line flip phone though.

Don't get me wrong, I have a nice HP laptop with SSD, but I usually just use it for work. I only work in aircraft repair 2 or 3 months a year, but it's usually overseas in a third world environment, and I have to take all my tech data with me. So far this year, I've had 2 jobs in Mexico, and 1 in Guyana.
When I'm at home, I usually just use my phone for internet access.
My only real nod to crustacean-ness is cultivating my Andy Rooney eyebrows. But, your phone does sound very interesting. Coal fired, you say? Wanna let me take it apart and improve it? I do have some depleted uranium around here somewhere....

Offline AzBruin

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 10:20:50 am »
Not real sure what "streaming" entails either.

I think that "streaming" involves drinking a lot of beer first.

A few years back I saw a car with license plate "IP VIDEO". I asked the driver if it came streaming out of YouTube.

Shouldn't that be "YourTube"?

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 12:09:27 pm »
You guys are all sick.  And I'm proud to be associated with you.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 10:00:44 am »

But, I do read a lot!

Don't get me wrong, I have a nice HP laptop with SSD, but I usually just use it for work. I only work in aircraft repair 2 or 3 months a year, but it's usually overseas in a third world environment, and I have to take all my tech data with me. So far this year, I've had 2 jobs in Mexico, and 1 in Guyana.
When I'm at home, I usually just use my phone for internet access.
My only real nod to crustacean-ness is cultivating my Andy Rooney eyebrows. But, your phone does sound very interesting. Coal fired, you say? Wanna let me take it apart and improve it? I do have some depleted uranium around here somewhere....
   It aint broke so I aint fixin it, and we already have plenty of uranium 'round here and ours isn't depleted yet, thank you very much - lotsa coal too.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline AzBruin

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2019, 10:54:43 pm »
Today I brewed up Fred's Kilt Lifter recipe. Due to problems with the thermometer in the mash tun, missed the target gravity by 10 points (1.120 vs. 1.130), but it still should be tasty. Wort came out like syrup. Just pitched a 3L starter and put it to bed. Now kicking back with a tripel, then it's bed time!