Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lager yeast for ales  (Read 8509 times)

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Lager yeast for ales
« on: August 02, 2019, 10:13:34 am »
Has anyone tried using a lager style yeast, WLP830 for example, to ferment an APA or some similar ale style? If so, what temp did you use and what were the results? 
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
Re: Lager yeast for ales
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 10:39:57 am »
   I've brewed ESB with M-54 Cal. Common yeast a few times with temps varying from mid 50's to mid 60's. M-54 of course is a very different yeast than 830.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 10:49:15 am »
I frequently use Saflager 34/70 for ales because it's so much cleaner than US05.  I run it in the low 60s, just like I would an ale yeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 12:56:34 pm »
I frequently use Saflager 34/70 for ales because it's so much cleaner than US05.  I run it in the low 60s, just like I would an ale yeast.
I do this as well.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 02:31:42 pm »
There was a presentation at HomebrewCon by Fermentis on 34/70 being clean up to the mid to high 60s. The date were convincing.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 02:55:19 pm »
There was a presentation at HomebrewCon by Fermentis on 34/70 being clean up to the mid to high 60s. The date were convincing.

Data are great..experience is  better and my experience is that it works fine.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 04:54:57 pm »

Is it true that Diamond lager dry yeast is the same as 34/70?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 05:27:30 pm »
It depends what flavor profile you want to create. Alternate pitching rate and fermentation temp with the same yeast and you will create different flavor profile.

WY2124 quite versatile yeast. 
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 08:57:03 pm »

That’s what they say....

The Cali Common, 34/70, and S-189 and equivalents (all Frohberg?) are all supposed to be OK warmer per the package.

I am about to use MJ Cali Lager yeast at 65*F in an Amber Lager loosely based on NB Ranger to see how it turns out. That should be in this strain’s wheelhouse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2019, 08:31:32 am »

I believe so, although when I asked biologist at Lallema d that exact question all she wpu,d say is that it's the Weihenstephan strain.  Good enough for me.  I have some samples of it, but haven't had a chance to try them yet.  BTW, speaking of Lallemand, I've also been playing with BRY97.  At this point it seems far cleaner than US05.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 08:32:25 am »

That’s what they say....

The Cali Common, 34/70, and S-189 and equivalents (all Frohberg?) are all supposed to be OK warmer per the package.

I am about to use MJ Cali Lager yeast at 65*F in an Amber Lager loosely based on NB Ranger to see how it turns out. That should be in this strain’s wheelhouse.

Who is "they"?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2019, 10:09:09 am »

That’s what they say....

Who is "they"?
You just said it.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2019, 10:35:26 am »
It depends what flavor profile you want to create. Alternate pitching rate and fermentation temp with the same yeast and you will create different flavor profile.

WY2124 quite versatile yeast.
Well, I'm looking for the standard "clean" profile that I get from, say, WLP001. Since WLP830, for instance, produces quite a bit of Sulphur during the fermentation process, I'm wondering if used in an ale at perhaps 60 degrees if it would generate a lot of Sulphur that I couldn't get rid of during the fermentation process.
I have been maintaining three strains of yeast (WLP 001, 002, 830) and repitching them on a rotating basis. My thought was that if I could use 830 in both my American style ales and German lagers, I could simplify the process of maintaining three strains.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2019, 10:57:43 am »

I believe so, although when I asked biologist at Lallema d that exact question all she wpu,d say is that it's the Weihenstephan strain.  Good enough for me.  I have some samples of it, but haven't had a chance to try them yet.  BTW, speaking of Lallemand, I've also been playing with BRY97.  At this point it seems far cleaner than US05.
I brewed a no-boil pale ale with BRY97 that turned out pretty good. My only issue was how long the lag time was.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2019, 10:59:18 am »

I believe so, although when I asked biologist at Lallema d that exact question all she wpu,d say is that it's the Weihenstephan strain.  Good enough for me.  I have some samples of it, but haven't had a chance to try them yet.
Good. I bought a couple of packs recently at a much better price than 34/70.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women