Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brut IPA yeast question  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Brut IPA yeast question
« on: March 11, 2020, 11:51:58 am »
Has anyone fermented a Brut IPA with something like the chico strain to around 1.007-8 then added a saison strain to get down to 1.002-4?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline jjw5015

• Cellarman
Re: Brut IPA yeast question
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 12:58:53 pm »
ferment it with whatever IPA yeast you want and use the enzyme. Not sure you would get the flavor profile you would want with a saison strain.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 03:14:54 pm »
ferment it with whatever IPA yeast you want and use the enzyme. Not sure you would get the flavor profile you would want with a saison strain.

THIS^^^^^
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 03:38:22 pm »
I was thinking you wouldn't get very much flavor from the saison yeast with only going 3 or 4 points.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 03:45:15 pm »
I was thinking you wouldn't get very much flavor from the saison yeast with only going 3 or 4 points.

Maybe not, but you might not get much fermentation, either.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 06:05:55 pm »

I wouldn't be looking for much, just enough to get down to "official" brut final gravity range.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 08:31:40 am »

I wouldn't be looking for much, just enough to get down to "official" brut final gravity range.

Again, isn't that what the enzyme is for?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 09:42:47 am »
I agree with using the enzyme.  However, I have a brewer friend that pitches 3711 near the end of fermentation to get a couple extra gravity points in some of his bigger beers.  it seems to work for him, but I would opt for the enzyme.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 09:45:56 am »
  If you go with AMG my advice is start with a fraction of the recommended dosage, from my limited experience about 10% of the suggested dosage is more than enough to get you down around zero. The last time I used it I wound up with a Brut Wee Heavy, O.G. 1.097, F.G. 1.002, not a bad beer though and way more residual body than you'd expect from the FG.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 12:49:33 pm »
The enzyme I use is amyloglucosidase.  I bought something else with a similar name and did not work.  I put a tsp in at day two of fermenting and at day four, I was at 1.000.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny