Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rye Pale Ale: Where to now?  (Read 6276 times)

Fire Rooster

Re: Rye Pale Ale: Where to now?
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2019, 05:56:05 am »
This may be anathema to many, but I’d suggest a light touch of crystal 40-60L.  This is coming from one who rarely uses much crystal and when I do it is usually 10L or lower.  With rye, the crystal adds a nice counterpoint to my palate.  With the recipe in the article, maybe add a half pound of crystal 60?

Just my 2 cents...Cheers!

Confirms what I was thinking of doing, often add small amounts of crystal to most batches.
Don't like carapils (dextrin), and use a little wheat and/or crystal instead.
Now I'm going to add it to this one as well, probably 40.

Tentative plan for a 4 gallon batch is: 5 lb 2-Row, 2lb Rye, 1 lb Crystal 40.
All recipes are kept in 1 lb increments.  Keeping Rye low to see if I like it,
and what it does for the beer.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 06:40:09 am by Fire Rooster »

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2019, 08:44:35 am »
This may be anathema to many, but I’d suggest a light touch of crystal 40-60L.  This is coming from one who rarely uses much crystal and when I do it is usually 10L or lower.  With rye, the crystal adds a nice counterpoint to my palate.  With the recipe in the article, maybe add a half pound of crystal 60?

I almost always use crystal in any APA/AIPA and several other styles.  Don't really understand why it fell out of favor, but it seems to be trendy to not use it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2019, 08:47:08 am »

Confirms what I was thinking of doing, often add small amounts of crystal to most batches.

FYI, my Rye IPA recipe, which is not only popular at my house but also with thousands of homebrewers nd commercial breweries round the world,  used both 1.25 lb. of C60 and .5 lb. of carapils.  It can work.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2019, 10:58:44 am »

FYI, my Rye IPA recipe, which is not only popular at my house but also with thousands of homebrewers nd commercial breweries round the world,  used both 1.25 lb. of C60 and .5 lb. of carapils.  It can work.
I recently brewed a batch of Wry Smile with rye extract that has crystal 60 in it and I steeped some also. It turned out pretty good.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Rye Pale Ale: Where to now?
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2019, 06:02:48 am »

I understand Stone used over 13% crystal in their Pale Ale and Pete’s Wicked Ale used over 15% so it definitely can work. Seems like too much to me but that ain’t sayin much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 06:19:18 am by BrewBama »

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2019, 07:47:20 am »
   Just cracked the 1st bottle of the most recent batch of Wyo common last night, absolutely LOVE that beer, definitely my favorite. It's 45% rye malt with caramel and chocolate rye malt, and a healthy dose of maize. Like Denny I don't get the aversion some have to crystal/caramel malts, to me they're indispensable, and very few of my brews have none in the bill. We do all have our own preferences though, and I've liked beers that had close to 30% caramel/crystal malt.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 07:49:02 am by Visor »
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2019, 08:48:29 am »

I almost always use crystal in any APA/AIPA and several other styles.  Don't really understand why it fell out of favor, but it seems to be trendy to not use it.

I was one of those who stopped using crystal.  Then I was at a malt tasting and crystal won me back.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2019, 07:29:25 am »

+1

I have always put a small amount of crystal in my APA/IPA.  My rye IPA that advanced to the final round of the NHC twice had some crystal malt in it as well. I was never sure why it fell out of favor either.  I always thought it added an extra flavor dimension to the beer.

(Note to Denny)  I always forget to tell you this but my rye IPA recipe, which was a modified version of yours, became the rye IPA we brewed at Hoppin' Frog for several years, "Hopped up Goose Juice".  It was one of the earlier rye IPA's that came on the scene when craft breweries started getting on the band wagon with this style.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline BrewBama

Rye Pale Ale: Where to now?
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2019, 08:06:29 am »
It may have fallen out of favor when Gordon Strong started encouraging using less caramel/crystal saying the sweetness clashed with the hoppy-ness about the time Brewing Better Beer came out.  I believe he used to say Munich is the new crystal or something like that. I don’t think he said to eliminate crystal malts but rather be judicious in their use. ...but homebrewers took that advice to extreme and crystal malts became taboo. I’ve seen recently that even 5-6% caramel/crystal is being rejected as too sweet and a clash in an IPA.  I don’t get it but to each their own.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 08:20:03 am by BrewBama »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2019, 09:24:53 am »
I first heard it at a Vinnie Cilurzo talk at NHC. He said to use 5% or less Crystal of 20L or lighter. The dark sugar, dark fruit, dried fruit flavors as the Lovibond increased clashed with the citrus and pine flavors of the hops he was using. Of course that was interpreted as low/no Crystal.

Here is one that used a touch of dark Crystal. It works with the EKG. I should brew it again.
http://www.brewery.org/cm3/recs/01_114.html

Ivey also brewed a Balantine IPA using C80L. That works great using Bullion and Brewers Gold hops.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2019, 09:58:29 am »
I first heard it at a Vinnie Cilurzo talk at NHC. He said to use 5% or less Crystal of 20L or lighter. The dark sugar, dark fruit, dried fruit flavors as the Lovibond increased clashed with the citrus and pine flavors of the hops he was using. Of course that was interpreted as low/no Crystal.

Here is one that used a touch of dark Crystal. It works with the EKG. I should brew it again.

Ivey also brewed a Balantine IPA using C80L. That works great using Bullion and Brewers Gold hops.

It's funny how one person's opinion becomes many people's rule.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Robert

« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2019, 10:31:11 am »
Over time I came to learn that my preference is for essentially all-base-malt beers, nobody else influenced me.  But as my processes, and perhaps taste, change, flavors can play differently.  I'm starting to play with reintroducing very small amounts of certain crystal/caramel malts as an accent on or enhancer of base type malts, but not necessarily an identifiable component themselves.  As in everything, its a matter of balance and personal taste.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2019, 10:51:48 am »

It's funny how one person's opinion becomes many people's rule.

Especially when he says “Low” crystal vs “No” crystal.   https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/5-tips-for-better-ipas-from-vinnie-cilurzo/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fire Rooster

« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2019, 11:02:49 am »
Briess suggestions.

40L
SUGGESTED USAGE LEVELS

3-7% For balance in Pilsners
5-10% California Common Beer, Doppelbocks and Dark Lagers
5-15% Vienna, Marzen and Oktoberfest
10-15% Bitter Ales, Pale Ales, Mild Ales, Strong Ales and Belgian Ales
5-15% Certain styles of Brown Ales, Scotch Ales, Stouts and Porter

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_CaramelMalt40L.pdf
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 03:23:06 am by Fire Rooster »

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2019, 11:41:14 am »
Briess suggests to keep crystal low.

40L
SUGGESTED USAGE LEVELS

3-7% For balance in Pilsners
5-10% California Common Beer, Doppelbocks and Dark Lagers
5-15% Vienna, Marzen and Oktoberfest
10-15% Bitter Ales, Pale Ales, Mild Ales, Strong Ales and Belgian Ales
5-15% Certain styles of Brown Ales, Scotch Ales, Stouts and Porter

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_CaramelMalt40L.pdf

Briess has no idea what my own tastes are.  And I don't consider 15% to be low.  But their recommendations could be a useful place to start.

www.dennybrew.com