Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Missing the mark on my FG  (Read 2834 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Missing the mark on my FG
« on: August 07, 2019, 03:05:43 pm »
So, for the last few batches of beer, I have been overshooting my FG. I used BS3 to formulate my recipes and have brewed these multiple times. I also use a tilt hydrometer and, because I'm pretty anal, I verify with a hydrometer that reads correctly. Calibrated in RO water. I recirculate using a HERMS. I have not changed my processes for these recipes. I use iodophor to sanitize everything. Example 1) FG 1.009 but I actually hit 1.002--- Ex. 2) 1.011 but hit 1.004 Both beers are 7 points over what they should be and what they have consistently been.

Suffice it to say, I am pretty clueless as to what is causing this.

Has anyone had this happen to them and what are some possible causes?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Missing the mark on my FG
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 03:20:49 pm »
So, for the last few batches of beer, I have been overshooting my FG. I used BS3 to formulate my recipes and have brewed these multiple times. I also use a tilt hydrometer and, because I'm pretty anal, I verify with a hydrometer that reads correctly. Calibrated in RO water. I recirculate using a HERMS. I have not changed my processes for these recipes. I use iodophor to sanitize everything. Example 1) FG 1.009 but I actually hit 1.002--- Ex. 2) 1.011 but hit 1.004 Both beers are 7 points over what they should be and what they have consistently been.

Are these recipes you've brewed before?  How did you determine what FG they should be?  Let's start there.  If your target was valid, then we can start looking for a cause.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 03:56:37 pm »
As I stated in my post, I use BS3 to formulate. I've brewed these 2 recipes multiple times with repeatable results down to the design FG. Ex. 1) OG 1.051/FG1.009....Ex. 2) OG 1.050/FG1.011

I may have misspoke when I said example, these are my estimated numbers and as stated, I've always hit my numbers right on mark.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 04:07:38 pm »
You say you haven't changed your process.   Has anything changed, possibly?  Different sack of base malt?  Is there any chance your thermometer has gone wonky and you really did change the mash temperature?  Just grasping at straws.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 04:23:32 pm »
You say you haven't changed your process.   Has anything changed, possibly?  Different sack of base malt?  Is there any chance your thermometer has gone wonky and you really did change the mash temperature?  Just grasping at straws.

Anything is possible but I'm precise with my brew day. I go off of my recipe to the tee, times, temps and notes. I have and do use different grains but always input the specific info from each grain, which happens to be pils for these 2 examples, into BS3. Again, I must say that I'm pretty anal about calibrations. I will calibrate my pH meter before each brew day. It only takes a few minutes anyway. My system is a plug and play electric and the temperature setting is set and forget. I don't think this is a case of increased efficiency because my OG has not changed. Truly at a loss to explain the WHY!

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 04:30:20 pm »
That makes me wonder more about the malt, was it in fact a different lot?  If your process is tight, the only immediate thing that cones to my mind that could affect fermentability is the malt itself being enzymatically "hotter."  If that's not it... You got me stumped, but I'd be going nuts in your position, too. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline gav

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 04:35:18 pm »
Assuming all your SG readings are accurate, it is possible that you may have a wild yeast infection problem. Beersmith calculates FG based on the average attenuation number in the particular yeast's profile. Many wild yeasts can breakdown complex sugars unfermentable by regular beer yeast. What does the finished beer taste like, beside being much drier than previous batches?
Isn't beer the holy libation of sincerity? The potion that dispels all hypocrisy, any charade of fine manners? The drink that does nothing worse than incite one to urinate in all innocence, to gain weight in all frankness?
Milan Kundera

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 04:35:59 pm »
Is it outside the manufacture's expected attenuation percentage? 
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline gav

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 04:48:45 pm »
Assuming all your SG readings are accurate, it is possible that you may have a wild yeast infection problem. Beersmith calculates FG based on the average attenuation number in the particular yeast's profile. Many wild yeasts can breakdown complex sugars unfermentable by regular beer yeast. What does the finished beer taste like, beside being much drier than previous batches?

BTW, iodophor or starsan will not kill wild yeasts. Check your hoses, any recessed areas in the fermenter, and transfer equipment. You will need to use caustic or bleach to kill them. They are also harbored in areas with beer stone, which can be removed with acid.
Isn't beer the holy libation of sincerity? The potion that dispels all hypocrisy, any charade of fine manners? The drink that does nothing worse than incite one to urinate in all innocence, to gain weight in all frankness?
Milan Kundera

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 05:13:30 pm »

Other than being drier, brutish, absolutely nothing. Having the same people usually drink my brew and having asked them(novices, non beer making friends) they claim it tastes no different. I could agree with your assumption that it might be a wild yeast infection but I'm a stickler for cleanliness and sanitation. Again, idophor for sanitizing. I break down my basement brewery about every 5 brews. Obviously cleaning in between brews. When I say I break down, what I mean is a complete tear apart of equipment, cleaning and sanitizing. walls and floors get a thorough scrubbing, hot water rinse and iodophor. IDK!

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2019, 05:18:40 pm »

BTW, iodophor or starsan will not kill wild yeasts. Check your hoses, any recessed areas in the fermenter, and transfer equipment. You will need to use caustic or bleach to kill them. They are also harbored in areas with beer stone, which can be removed with acid.

Are you certain that iodophor does not in fact kill wild yeast? Can you show me something that proves your statement? I've been under the understanding that it in fact does kill wild yeast and mold whereas starsan will not...

Offline BrewBama

Missing the mark on my FG
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 05:29:54 pm »

Iodophor will not kill wild yeast?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 05:33:40 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Robert

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 05:34:22 pm »

Are you certain that iodophor does not in fact kill wild yeast? Can you show me something that proves your statement? I've been under the understanding that it in fact does kill wild yeast and mold whereas starsan will not...

AFAIK all the evidence to date is that iodophor, like bleach, kills everything, while acid anionic sanitizers are not effective against fungi, yeasts, and spores.  I've seen some pushback against this idea recently on at least one forum but without supporting documentation.  But it is also true that you can't sanitize what's not mechanically clean,  and gav is correct that beerstone deposits can harbor biological material that is inaccessible to standard sanitizer applications.   I regularly use an acid for this purpose.  Identical to but far cheaper by the gallon jug than brewery products is milkstone remover, if you have access to a dairy supply (or stocked by Tractor Supply or Farm and Fleet in certain areas.)  The acid will loosen the oxalate deposits which then can be removed by PBW, etc.   Good to just incorporate it into the protocol from time to time.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2019, 05:41:54 pm »
I’ve found B bright to be quite effective at dissolving the beginnings of beer stone as well as the milk stone remover sold by Tractor Supply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2019, 06:14:37 pm »

One of the greatest things about BeerSmith is that it enables the brewer to control the software so it reflects results that represent expected results from their equipment and process. The estimated values are reflective of user inputs. Once you enter your equipment profile and brew a few batches, you need to fine tune the profile. If you don't, you will continue to miss your mark, because you haven't properly defined it in the software.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV