Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: wheat beers not ideal with BIAB setup?  (Read 1326 times)

Offline KCguy

• Assistant Brewer
wheat beers not ideal with BIAB setup?
« on: August 09, 2019, 08:07:59 am »
Was reading a recent Brad Smith article about BIAB, and he ended with a comment that using adjuncts like flaked wheat isnt ideal for the full volume mash  BIAB setup, but didnt say why.  He referenced another article, which I skimmed but could find no answers.  Anyone know why flaked wheat wouldnt do well in a BIAB process? 

I just tried doing a Hefeweizen and it turned out pretty thin, and wondering if this is why...
Drinkin Tripels, Seeing Double, Feelin Single...

Michael B
Kansas City

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
Re: wheat beers not ideal with BIAB setup?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 09:11:21 am »
 Not sure why. Maybe something to do with not sparging and therefore maybe not getting the most fermentables from them?
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 09:39:48 am »
I don't know why you shouldn't.   
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 09:40:23 am »
Not sure why. Maybe something to do with not sparging and therefore maybe not getting the most fermentables from them?

That would be true of ny grain, though.  And FTR, I sparge BIAB.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jjw5015

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 10:00:53 am »
I appreciate Brad's contribution to brewing software, but wouldn't listen to anything he has to say regarding brewing practices that have developed in the last 10-15 years or so.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 11:32:34 am »
I appreciate Brad's contribution to brewing software, but wouldn't listen to anything he has to say regarding brewing practices that have developed in the last 10-15 years or so.

Exactly.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline robdogj

• 1st Kit
  • enjoying my hobby as a zymurgist
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 03:04:27 pm »

I sparge BIAB.

Denny I am thinking about doing this technique. Can you provide tips or any websites about sparging a BIAB batch?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 03:49:57 pm »

I sparge BIAB.

Denny I am thinking about doing this technique. Can you provide tips or any websites about sparging a BIAB batch?

Well, you just sparge it!  :)  I heat up water in another pot, put the bag in a colander in the brew pot, and pour the water over the bag.  Amount depends on the batch size.  I usually do 3 gal. BIAB so I sparge with 1-1.5 gal.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 07:56:59 am »
Was reading a recent Brad Smith article about BIAB, and he ended with a comment that using adjuncts like flaked wheat isnt ideal for the full volume mash  BIAB setup, but didnt say why.  He referenced another article, which I skimmed but could find no answers.  Anyone know why flaked wheat wouldnt do well in a BIAB process? 

I just tried doing a Hefeweizen and it turned out pretty thin, and wondering if this is why...

The only argument I could see making out of that is huskless adjuncts contribute to less of a filter bed so you end up draining out more of the tiny grain pieces and protein clumps when you lift the bag--but in my experience with BIAB that is no more or less true of 100% malted barley beer. That seems like the kind of thing people just say without any experience or other real support.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline robdogj

• 1st Kit
  • enjoying my hobby as a zymurgist
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 09:33:16 am »

I sparge BIAB.

Well, you just sparge it!  :)  I heat up water in another pot, put the bag in a colander in the brew pot, and pour the water over the bag.  Amount depends on the batch size.  I usually do 3 gal. BIAB so I sparge with 1-1.5 gal.

Sounds like the plan. I will use 6 gallons for the mash & sparge with 2 gallons.

Sent from my LG-VS985 using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 05:40:28 am »
I have used BIAB for both full mash no sparge and batch sparged (the bag is simply a filter).  As to heart or flaked adjunct, I have experienced a very slow drain off in some instances, but it is easily remedied by stirring and rubbing the inside of the bag with a mash paddle to free up the mesh from the “tieg” layer that can build up.  I have gone to a coarser bag (400 Micron) and I no longer experience any issues with slow runoff or recirculation problems.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"