Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Robobrew/Brewziall v3.1  (Read 4815 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Robobrew/Brewziall v3.1
« on: August 10, 2019, 08:18:07 am »
As some of you may know I'm getting back into homebrewing again after 10 years of brewing Pro. I have another gig on the horizon but in the mean time I'm looking at ramping up some beers at the house. I also turn 50 this year and so, being an old guy now (but still handsome AF), I decided to go for more automation. Plus I want to do multiple step mashes again (feel free to argue about that  :-*)

Here's what I'm considering:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/robobrew-v31-grain-brewing-system-pump-35l925g.html

I don't need to brew more than 4-5 gallons now. 18 lbs max grain bill would get me for whatever I need. 110V plug in will allow me to brew indoors when I want.

Anyone care to share their thoughts on this system? It looks pretty damn sweet to me. I'm temped to spring for the 220V system but then I'd have to brew in the garage or have something professionally installed so, nah, probably not.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 08:19:57 am by majorvices »

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Robobrew/Brewziall v3.1
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 10:15:34 am »
When the Robobrew first came out there were quality problems. I am not sure if those have been solved or not.

You probably know this already but there are two main competitors: Grainfather and the new Anvil Foundry.

I have the Grainfather. I think these type systems are pretty effective. It’s very easy to control mash temp since the controller does that for you. The recirculation is nice. The main way to sparge is to separately heat water and then use a measuring cup to pour 1-2 cups of water at a time over the top perforated plate. This isn’t the most elegant solution but it is effective. Many people have built stands to leverage gravity during sparge. I prefer the measuring cup. Too simple to drive me to build more equipment.

Heating time: it’s slow but it works. I have a Brewhardware heat stick. It helps a lot when heating 5 gallon batches to boil.

Efficiency is fine. Not better not worse than other systems.

GF chilling is decent (via included CFC) but you can only do so much with Alabama ground water. I don’t like cleaning the CFC though. I think a good immersion chiller is just as fast and easier to clean. The Robobrew comes with a pretty wimpy looking immersion chiller. My guess is you would want something better.

Cleanup: I hate cleaning. Any system with a pump sucks to clean. But, pumps are too useful to avoid.

Taste of the beer: in my experience excellent. Some brewers criticize the systems because they are not low oxygen brewing friendly.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 10:30:13 am by tommymorris »

Offline tommymorris

Re: Robobrew/Brewziall v3.1
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 10:31:02 am »
PS. If you want to borrow a GF let me know. I have been using my Picobrew Z1 lately.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 11:21:39 am »
Another vote for GF.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 11:49:42 am »
I don’t own one but as far as I can tell, I think the question is how interactive do you want to be.  Some of these all-in-ones are basically coffee urn-based BIAB with a pump so the brewer is still actively engaged. But some of these things are impressively automated. Tommy set his up, left for lunch at a brewery with his family and came back to a completed brew day. Man, this home brewing is tough. The coffee urn-based systems can distill, too. You know, for brewing water.

BTW: I heard Blue Pants is closing.  You guys should hook up, open a Biergarten, hire someone to cook Panierte Hähnchenschnitzel oder Jägerschnitzel und Kartoffel Salat mit Brötchen ....and attach a well stocked retail homebrew supply.

I still miss sitting under that Pecan tree in the backyard of the old place. It’s too hard for SWMBO to get in and out of now so we haven’t been back.  The pizza place at the new one is easier so we go there.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 05:32:30 pm »
Just to be clear, I am not endorsing Grainfather over the other brands of these systems. GF is twice the price of the competition. That’s a lot to stomach.

I do think these types of systems are good and I like my GF.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 05:33:10 pm »
I don’t own one but as far as I can tell, I think the question is how interactive do you want to be.  Some of these all-in-ones are basically coffee urn-based BIAB with a pump so the brewer is still actively engaged. But some of these things are impressively automated. Tommy set his up, left for lunch at a brewery with his family and came back to a completed brew day. Man, this home brewing is tough. The coffee urn-based systems can distill, too. You know, for brewing water.

BTW: I heard Blue Pants is closing.  You guys should hook up, open a Biergarten, hire someone to cook Panierte Hähnchenschnitzel oder Jägerschnitzel und Kartoffel Salat mit Brötchen ....and attach a well stocked retail homebrew supply.

I still miss sitting under that Pecan tree in the backyard of the old place. It’s too hard for SWMBO to get in and out of now so we haven’t been back.  The pizza place at the new one is easier so we go there.
Blue pants is closing? That’s too bad.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Robobrew/Brewziall v3.1
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 06:25:09 pm »
I do not have any of those systems. I think 110W is fine since in residential building you do not have to pay electric demand fee to your power company.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 08:39:52 am »
Just to be clear, I am not endorsing Grainfather over the other brands of these systems. GF is twice the price of the competition. That’s a lot to stomach.

I do think these types of systems are good and I like my GF.

I have used the GF as well as several of these other systems.  IMO, the GF is more expensive but you get what you pay for.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 09:52:45 am »

Great idea but I need to fly solo from now on. I like Mike Spratley but we could never work together.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 09:57:05 am by majorvices »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 09:56:18 am »
PS. If you want to borrow a GF let me know. I have been using my Picobrew Z1 lately.

You are entirely too kind. I would love to take you up on that sometime. I would pay you back in beer.

Offline Scott Williams

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 07:02:54 pm »
I purchased the robobrew 110 a couple of months ago.  Used twice so far, incidentally my first and only all grain brews to date.  It has done everything it claims to do.  I’ve had no issues programming steps, holding accurate temp, bringing to a rolling boil or achieving target OG.  I like some of the GF bells and whistles with the app based programming but being a new brewer had a hard time justifying the cost difference. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 07:05:50 pm by Scott Williams »

Offline wayne1

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2019, 09:30:19 pm »
I have recently retired from pro brewing and am getting back into home brewing. I have ordered a 65L BrewZilla and 35L DigiBoil for sparging. My research seems to indicate than most of the all-in-one units are made in the same place with very slight differences. With the Grainfather it is mostly the controller/interface and the fact is uses a braid filter for mashing vs the plate in the BrewZilla.

David Heath has put together a series of youtube videos comparing them.

You may also fine it fun to look through Aussie Home Brewer to look back on the development of the systems and some of the politics  ::)

Cheers,
Wayne

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2019, 08:32:20 am »
I have recently retired from pro brewing and am getting back into home brewing. I have ordered a 65L BrewZilla and 35L DigiBoil for sparging. My research seems to indicate than most of the all-in-one units are made in the same place with very slight differences. With the Grainfather it is mostly the controller/interface and the fact is uses a braid filter for mashing vs the plate in the BrewZilla.

You may also fine it fun to look through Aussie Home Brewer to look back on the development of the systems and some of the politics  ::)

Cheers,
Wayne

Do I understand that you're saying that the GF uses a "braid filter"?  If so, not the case.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2019, 12:31:35 pm »

Cheers,
Wayne

Do I understand that you're saying that the GF uses a "braid filter"?  If so, not the case.
My GF has a top and bottom perforated plate for the mash. There is also a perforated filter on the drain.

The GF filters work well.