Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blichmann Rip Tide Pump  (Read 1323 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Blichmann Rip Tide Pump
« on: July 28, 2019, 12:19:45 pm »
Here is my dilemma, I use Blichmann Rip Tide pumps. 2 pumps total, #1 HLT #2 MT&BK. Pump #1 has zero issues while pump #2 stops operating when the temps reach mash in. It operates sporadically, turning off/on until I place a cold towel and a external fan on the unit. The pumps internal fan works but the unit will still turn off/on. Fast forward to the transfers from BK to the fermentor.... no issues!! 215* and the pump works fine. This happens more often than not so I'm a bit confused. Has anyone else who uses these pumps had similar problems? Also, any and all feedback is appreciated.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Blichmann Rip Tide Pump
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 12:23:38 pm »
For the best info contact Blichmannp
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 01:17:58 pm »
I sent an email prior to original post. I definitely want their input and also the community input based on similar situations.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 02:26:28 pm »
I sent an email prior to original post. I definitely want their input and also the community input based on similar situations.

I can tell you that I haven't had a similar situation with mine.  It's strange that Blichmann hasn't gotten back to you.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 02:57:31 pm »
I never meant to allude that they did not get back to me, I just sent the email moments before i posted here. No worries!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 03:07:41 pm »
I never meant to allude that they did not get back to me, I just sent the email moments before i posted here. No worries!

Cool.  I think you're likely to get better info from them.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 10:15:04 am »
Have you pulled the head apart to see if there are any obstructions?

When I first started using mine it was tied to a controller that would fire the pump as needed to maintain mash temp. The controller gave every indication the pump was supposed to be running but there was no liquid movement. Checked the switch; yep, it's on. Checked the power cord; yep, it's plugged into the controller in the correct location. Felt the pump to see if I could feel if it was running - OUCH! Motor was scorching hot.

Unplugged the pump and pulled the head off, nothing there that I could see as an obstruction - put it back together and presto, it worked fine and has been working fine since. Maybe there was something that dropped out and I just didn't see it. Being as hot as it was tells me the motor itself was jammed somehow - not sure how that could happen with a magnetically driven pump, but there it is.
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 09:07:44 am »
Are the pumps plugged into a PID control panel? I have an electric 3-vessel HERMS system with the pumps plugged into such a panel and the Blichmann pump between the HLT and MT will turn off once the mash temperature is reached and then turns on again when the temp falls below that set point. It's supposed to operate that way.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 10:19:23 am »
Have you pulled the head apart to see if there are any obstructions?

When I first started using mine it was tied to a controller that would fire the pump as needed to maintain mash temp. The controller gave every indication the pump was supposed to be running but there was no liquid movement. Checked the switch; yep, it's on. Checked the power cord; yep, it's plugged into the controller in the correct location. Felt the pump to see if I could feel if it was running - OUCH! Motor was scorching hot.

Unplugged the pump and pulled the head off, nothing there that I could see as an obstruction - put it back together and presto, it worked fine and has been working fine since. Maybe there was something that dropped out and I just didn't see it. Being as hot as it was tells me the motor itself was jammed somehow - not sure how that could happen with a magnetically driven pump, but there it is.

Blichmann reached out to me and pretty much made the same suggestion. Followed their advice and I haven't had an issue since. Pump runs cool to the touch again.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 10:22:20 am »
Are the pumps plugged into a PID control panel? I have an electric 3-vessel HERMS system with the pumps plugged into such a panel and the Blichmann pump between the HLT and MT will turn off once the mash temperature is reached and then turns on again when the temp falls below that set point. It's supposed to operate that way.

I don't have my pumps plugged into the PID controllers. HLT&MT run continuous during mash. I wouldn't want my pumps to cycle on/off while mashing to be honest. At least that is how Blichmann recommends for this system.