Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: fermenting on pulp  (Read 875 times)

Offline Scholastic Brewer

• 1st Kit
fermenting on pulp
« on: November 25, 2019, 06:49:23 am »
Hey all,

I have recently been doing a bit more digging into fruit wine making, and it seems like there are a couple different methods on how to extract the flavor from your fruit. I went to a seminar in September where they advocated soaking your pulp for around three days and then straining off the juice and fermenting that. Alternatively, I read in a book ( the title of which I have unfortunately forgotten) that you can start your fermentation on the pulp, and strain off the juice after about a week and continue the fermentation. I went with the second method because I was loosely following a recipe from that book. It worked like a charm, but because there was no juice for me to pitch my yeast into (it was simply water and pulp) I couldn't get an initial hydrometer reading, and so I have no idea of the abv of the wine.

Has anyone tried different methods that they think are better, or have any tips?

Thanks for the help!

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: fermenting on pulp
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 08:29:14 am »
Unless you added water, which would be highly irregular, what you had before pitching was pulp and juice. you would check the SG of the juice.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV