Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Files Podcast Ep. 73 - Pinch Pennies Wisely  (Read 832 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Brew Files Podcast Ep. 73 - Pinch Pennies Wisely
« on: October 16, 2019, 01:48:51 pm »
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/brew-files-episode-73-pinch-pennies-wisely

Common wisdom dictates that trying to save money by brewing beer is a fool's errand like buying a boat to save on fish, but we're here to tell you that there are a few ways you can maximize your savings while still enjoying high quality beer. We're not about minmaxing here - just reminding you as your beer needs increase around the holidays, it's perfectly easy to pinch some pennies and enjoy a beer!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Josh K

• 1st Kit
Re: Brew Files Podcast Ep. 73 - Pinch Pennies Wisely
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 05:41:46 pm »
Denny, when it comes to re-using yeast you talked about making sure sanitation is on point.  I have been just starting to do this and I'll be using a repitch of yeast for the 3rd time.  Beyond sanitizing the mason jar, what are some other sanitation practices I should be adhering to, or what are some potential spots that contamination could occur.  I know in Complete Joy of Homebrewing Charlie recommends rubbing pour spouts with grain alcohol and flaming them.

For my process I let the mason jar and lid sit in sanitizer for a bit, wiped the lip of the fermentor and just poured in the slurry left in the fermenter and when ready i repitched the whole amount, it was about 2 cups worth.  Is that too much or too little yeast or am I on the right track? 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 07:57:19 am »
Denny, when it comes to re-using yeast you talked about making sure sanitation is on point.  I have been just starting to do this and I'll be using a repitch of yeast for the 3rd time.  Beyond sanitizing the mason jar, what are some other sanitation practices I should be adhering to, or what are some potential spots that contamination could occur.  I know in Complete Joy of Homebrewing Charlie recommends rubbing pour spouts with grain alcohol and flaming them.

For my process I let the mason jar and lid sit in sanitizer for a bit, wiped the lip of the fermentor and just poured in the slurry left in the fermenter and when ready i repitched the whole amount, it was about 2 cups worth.  Is that too much or too little yeast or am I on the right track?

Because I've had glass jars with yeast explode in the fridge, I store yeast in sanitized 1/2 gal. plastic tubs with snap on lids.  All I ever do is sanitize thek usually with Iodophor, then pour the slurry in.  For an average 5 gal. batch I use 2-3 of them.  For the first few weeks, I'll pitch the yeast in one of them directly.  If it's longer than that I'll use a bit of it to make a new starter.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 08:38:26 am »
If you want to use a glass container, that's fine (can beeasier to sanitize than plastic,) just cover it with aluminum foil, which is sterile right off the roll.  It will keep anything from getting in, but will let gas out.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 08:43:45 am »
If you want to use a glass container, that's fine (can beeasier to sanitize than plastic,) just cover it with aluminum foil, which is sterile right off the roll.  It will keep anything from getting in, but will let gas out.

Without the ring I suppose...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 08:57:05 am »

Without the ring I suppose...

Yeah, just crimp it down, no lid necessary.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 09:48:50 am »

For years I've been trying to convince Drew that fill right off the roll is fine to use as is. He refuses to believe it, despite the fact that I've done it hundreds (thousands?) of times.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 10:08:51 am »

For years I've been trying to convince Drew that fill right off the roll is fine to use as is. He refuses to believe it, despite the fact that I've done it hundreds (thousands?) of times.
Yeah, they make that stuff by feeding billets of aluminum  between rollers to squash it that thin.  Show me the bugs that can survive that kind of heat and pressure!  And labs use it that way, so if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 01:53:34 pm »
I use a pickle pipe lid for my reused yeast.  This guy will be in my beer in a couple of hours

Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline Josh K

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 05:43:52 pm »
Maybe every couple days I will pop the lid off and quickly put it back down to relieve any possible pressure build up.  Its been hard to trust this re-pitching thing but I am going to try it until a batch turns out bad.  Certainly would save some money!

Also, I wonder where some of this opinion on only using yeast for so many generations comes from?  Is yeast really mutating and becoming bad or is it getting infected?  I thought I read or heard an interview with Papazian and he basically has a kept the same yeast strain going as long as he has been brewing - even propagating yeast up from older bottles of his homebrew. 

What is the longest you have gone re-pitching the same yeast?

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 06:18:23 pm »

Also, I wonder where some of this opinion on only using yeast for so many generations comes from?  Is yeast really mutating and becoming bad or is it getting infected? 

~25 generations probably, and only started over then because I wanted to change to a different yeast as my "house strain."  I know of homebrewers who've been using the same (especially lager) yeast for years, and commercial breweries do it too.  Brooklyn Brewing has been repitching the same ale yeast, without reculturing, since Garrett Oliver took over in January 1996.  Yes, yeast is probably mutating all the time, but what it is really doing is adapting, without  mutating, to your actual brewery conditions.   Very few mutations will be detrimental,  as in any living thing.   A rare one will be beneficial,  and most irrelevant. And it is inconceivably unlikely that a mutation in one, lonely, little cell will allow its progeny to outcompete, outlast, and replace your entire population.  Brewing yeasts are very stable, that's how we have individual, identifiable strains.  If sanitation is strictly observed (as you suggested, infection is the real danger,)  there's no reason to start fresh all the time (nor to repitch ad infinitum if you don't want to,) and you will find that yeast rarely performs at its best and expresses its true character (the characteristics you read in a description that made you chose it) until around the 3rd to 5th generation.  Give it a go.  See if it's for you.  Good luck, and happy brewing!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 06:19:55 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 06:21:43 am »

Also, I wonder where some of this opinion on only using yeast for so many generations comes from?  Is yeast really mutating and becoming bad or is it getting infected? 

~25 generations probably, and only started over then because I wanted to change to a different yeast as my "house strain."  I know of homebrewers who've been using the same (especially lager) yeast for years, and commercial breweries do it too.  Brooklyn Brewing has been repitching the same ale yeast, without reculturing, since Garrett Oliver took over in January 1996.  Yes, yeast is probably mutating all the time, but what it is really doing is adapting, without  mutating, to your actual brewery conditions.   Very few mutations will be detrimental,  as in any living thing.   A rare one will be beneficial,  and most irrelevant. And it is inconceivably unlikely that a mutation in one, lonely, little cell will allow its progeny to outcompete, outlast, and replace your entire population.  Brewing yeasts are very stable, that's how we have individual, identifiable strains.  If sanitation is strictly observed (as you suggested, infection is the real danger,)  there's no reason to start fresh all the time (nor to repitch ad infinitum if you don't want to,) and you will find that yeast rarely performs at its best and expresses its true character (the characteristics you read in a description that made you chose it) until around the 3rd to 5th generation.  Give it a go.  See if it's for you.  Good luck, and happy brewing!

Me, too. I maxed out after 25 or so generations over a couple years with a clean lager yeast.  No issues
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"