Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Adding Maple Syrup - When to do & how much  (Read 2316 times)

Offline Philip McCaugherty

• Cellarman
Adding Maple Syrup - When to do & how much
« on: July 23, 2019, 09:17:47 am »
So, I made a clone version of the 512 Pecan Porter which is available on this website. It turned out great. So good that I want to make it again but this time infuse it with maple syrup.

Now, having done some reading, I'm under the impression that it is best to add the syrup to the secondary after fermentation has finished. But how much to add? It will be a 20L batch.

I have also read (on this forum) that fenugreek is a better option than actual maple syrup. This is new to me but considering it is a spice, I'm guessing it is best to add it at the end of the boil. Would this be correct? If so, how much for an 8L boil?

Thanks in advance, guys.
Someone once told me that making my own beer was a great way to save money. What a load of shyte that was!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Adding Maple Syrup - When to do & how much
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 09:37:11 am »
I prefer a good maple extract due to ease of use, but Drew swears by fenugreek.  I'll see if I can get advice  from him.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 10:05:21 am »
I prefer a good maple extract due to ease of use, but Drew swears by fenugreek.  I'll see if I can get advice  from him.

Good man. Thanks for the help.
Someone once told me that making my own beer was a great way to save money. What a load of shyte that was!

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 10:59:24 am »
Fenugreek is the way I'd go for maple flavor.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 11:06:20 am »
Keep in mind that maple syrup is highly fermentable and if bottling, will lead to overcarbonation and no maple flavor unless you somehow kill the yeast before the addition.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 02:44:45 am »

Denny
Any joy, mate?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 08:05:13 am »

Denny
Any joy, mate?

I wasn't him a link to this thread.  I'll poke him again.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 03:19:18 am »
Made this batch last night. I added 1 tsp of fenugreek for the last 10 minutes. Someone advised that another tsp could be added in an almost 'dry hopping' way. I shall have a taste when fermentation is complete and judge it.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 05:49:48 am »
Made this batch last night. I added 1 tsp of fenugreek for the last 10 minutes. Someone advised that another tsp could be added in an almost 'dry hopping' way. I shall have a taste when fermentation is complete and judge it.

Fenugreek is effective but one of the strongest spices known to man.  I think 1 tsp is probably all that you need.  Definitely smell and taste before you add any more.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 09:06:54 am »

Please keep us updated.  I've never used fenugreek and may try it in my pumpkin ale.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 05:53:44 am »
Kegged this brew last night and had a little taste. By god it tasted good! And the aroma reminded me of this:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25434/301296/

Needless to say, I'll be over the moon should the finished article resemble anything close to Buxton and Omnipollo's offering.

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2019, 09:02:39 am »
Ok, been in the keg 9 days now and it tastes really good. Still very sweet but the maple aroma / taste is excellent. 1 tsp per 5 US gallon seems to be plenty. Glad I didn't go too banana sandwich with it. The beer is appox. 6% ABV. I'd say if you were going for an imperial stout, you might use 2 tsp's but only if you wanted to be hit up the face with the maple aroma / taste.

I'm hoping the sweetness does trail off a little as it is difficult to taste the toasted pecans ATM.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2019, 10:04:00 am »
Ok, been in the keg 9 days now and it tastes really good. Still very sweet but the maple aroma / taste is excellent. 1 tsp per 5 US gallon seems to be plenty. Glad I didn't go too banana sandwich with it. The beer is appox. 6% ABV. I'd say if you were going for an imperial stout, you might use 2 tsp's but only if you wanted to be hit up the face with the maple aroma / taste.

Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.