Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hop bag squeezing  (Read 2024 times)

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
Dry hop bag squeezing
« on: August 05, 2019, 07:49:42 am »
I don't usually squeeze my dry hop bag but was wondering if it would pull out some extra goodness and get me some beer back.  Any experience?

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
Re: Dry hop bag squeezing
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 08:22:28 am »
  Every time, I'll be damned if I'm gonna throw away the better part of a quart of beer. The stuff I squeeze out definitely is more pungent or concentrated than the rest of the beer in the FV.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 03:35:14 pm »
I agree. You're just recovering what you would have lost by bagging them in the first place. I also leave my bags with kettle additions in the kettle as I chill and transfer. Always want that last drop of hoppy goodness.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline teecee

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 05:10:00 pm »
I did that once and the resulting beer was very grassy for about three weeks. Not to mention, however you are doing that, you are likely exposing your finished beer to oxygen. If you have a way to allow it to drip dry without opening the fermentor, that would be your best bet.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 07:20:11 am »
I don't squeeze my hop bags.  I use a large BIAB for my pellets and suspend it at the very top of the wort level when I begin chilling.  By the time the wort level gets to the bottom of the bag, almost all of the it has drained out and there are just a few drips falling into the kettle.

I too would be concerned about extracting grassiness by squeezing the hop bag.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 09:12:50 pm »
Update:  6 ounces of hops in a 5 gallon batch.

I pulled the lid off my brew bucket, lifted out my muslin bags with sanitized gloves on and squeezed.  I figured ooen fermentation doesn't oxidize so as long as I am gentle, it should be good.  That was super hoppy greatness that came out and stank up the whole garage.  Beer was delicious but hazy.  I don't like haze but ... cold crashing may help. Thanks for the input.