Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lager or not  (Read 5692 times)

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
Re: Lager or not
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2019, 03:14:50 pm »
   So who is MJ buying M-54 from? I use a lot of M-54 cuz it's the only dry Cal. Common yeast I've found, and liquid yeast just isn't feasible here.
   I did split a batch of Dunkel a couple years ago between M-76 & 34/70, there was a noticeable difference between the two beers but the AA was within a couple percentage points, ABV was very close. The degree of difference could easily be a matter of age of the yeast, or my process. I've also split a Schwarzbier between M-76 and S-23, the flavor differences in those beers was very noticeable even though the end numbers were identical. Go figure.
   Splitting a batch between M-44 and US-05 is already on my short list, might have to try it soon.
   What would be the original yeast the MJ sells as M-42 New World Strong Ale? Anyone?
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Lager or not
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2019, 03:40:20 pm »
The word is M54 is Mauribrew Lager.  Who knows.

...and M42 is Nottingham

Here’s Dave Taylor’s sheet he posted at HBT:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CEl1_Fb8CgQcAqbFNETgOwH5BWx3bTqEt0kEpV-O5OM/htmlview

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 03:51:06 pm by BrewBama »

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2019, 05:59:14 pm »

...and M42 is Nottingham

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CEl1_Fb8CgQcAqbFNETgOwH5BWx3bTqEt0kEpV-O5OM/htmlview

Thanks, I was just going to post that.  Yup, that's the stuff.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2019, 10:43:53 am »
   It's interesting to see on this spec sheet that M-54's alcohol tolerance is listed at 8%, the last batch of my Imperial Wyo. Common finished at 10.5% and 79% A.A.
   Looking at Dave's sheet I saw question marks by M-15 Empire ale yeast, I don't know about it's origins but it was previously sold as M-03 UK dark ale - don't remember where I learned that. As 03 I used it in a partigyle rye stout with OG 1.065 & it got down to 1.008 & 87% A.A. As M-15 I used it in a Wee Heavy, not realizing it's recommended ABV limit was 8%, and that's right where it petered out, had to finish the beer with something else.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2019, 11:15:06 am »
Pay little to no attention to "alcohol limits" listed by manufacturers.  Pretty much any yeast will do 10-12%.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2019, 09:06:16 am »
   That may be true, but I've had several brews that stalled out around 8% or 9% and had to be finished of with EC-1118. I don't know for a fact that ABV was the sole or major cause of the stalled fermentation, but Occam's Razor suggests that I start with that supposition.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2019, 07:06:24 am »
   That may be true, but I've had several brews that stalled out around 8% or 9% and had to be finished of with EC-1118. I don't know for a fact that ABV was the sole or major cause of the stalled fermentation, but Occam's Razor suggests that I start with that supposition.
If your fermentation stalls it is usually sign you did not pitch enough yeast to start with. 8%-9% beers are not too big these days.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2019, 11:14:54 am »

...and M42 is Nottingham

If M54 is Mauribrew lager that answers a question I had. Liquid steam beer yeast can ferment down in regular lager temperature range and I wondered if M54 could.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 11:19:35 am by Steve Ruch »
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2019, 11:38:57 am »

...and M42 is Nottingham

If M54 is Mauribrew lager that answers a question I had. Liquid steam beer yeast can ferment down in regular lager temperature range and I wondered if M54 could.

There are several ale yeasts I've tried that ferment well in the low-mid 50s.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2019, 11:47:53 am »
Of Chico is really BRY-96, then it's the yeast Ballantine used in their lager brewery, even though it's a cerevisiae.   So no surprise if 1056 works at lager temperatures, which I think Denny's said it does.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2019, 02:07:37 pm »
Of Chico is really BRY-96, then it's the yeast Ballantine used in their lager brewery, even though it's a cerevisiae.   So no surprise if 1056 works at lager temperatures, which I think Denny's said it does.

I have run 1056, 1728, and 1007 at 52F.  No problem.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2019, 05:27:01 am »
I think most yeasts will work fine at lager temps.  They will just work slower obviously and can be plagued by the same cleanup issues such as high sulfur and diacetyl, which fortunately are not really issues but just may require longer aging or warmer temps to age out.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2019, 10:52:29 am »

What about dry yeast? The only liquid yeast that I've used in years is the 1450 that I brewed a batch of Wry Smile with several weeks ago.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2019, 12:28:33 pm »

What about dry yeast? The only liquid yeast that I've used in years is the 1450 that I brewed a batch of Wry Smile with several week's ago.

When I used to use US05, I tried it in the mid 50s a few times with good results.  Well, as good as you can get with 05.  Of course,lager strains like 34/70 work great at lower temps, too.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2019, 10:27:20 am »
   Another 05 hater ;D? I've successfully used 05 down into the low 50's several times, but if you're looking for a lot of yeast induced flavors you'll be disappointed by it. After a couple split ferments between 05 and M-54, I've decided that those 2 of my favorite beers will be done with 05 henceforth. TIFWIW.