Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Herms kettle & coil mineral depositrs  (Read 1051 times)

Offline kenack

• 1st Kit
Herms kettle & coil mineral depositrs
« on: August 14, 2019, 07:51:52 am »
After every brew day my electric Spike 30 gal. HLT with my Herms coil is covered with a whitish coating from the high water mark down. Is this normal? We have moderately hard water and I do put 1 Camden tablet in it plus my acid addition for the sparge. I've had to soak the heating element in vinegar water to get it shiny again.

Offline kpfoleyjr

• Cellarman
Re: Herms kettle & coil mineral depositrs
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 08:12:47 am »
I am fortunate to have Lake Michigan tap water in my brewery, and I still have deposits on the heating element on my BrewBuddy setup, same as you do.  I also use Camden tablets and lactic acid, and usually some gypsum.  I clean them with vinegar as well.  I don’t think it’s unusual.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Herms kettle & coil mineral depositrs
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 08:23:58 am »
If you and I are getting the same deposit I consider this normal.

After a brewday my RIMS tube element will have a ‘fluffy’ residue that wipes off and an underlying white deposit on it. I simply brush the fluff off under running water and soak it in B Bright. (I imagine other cleaners would work also) After the soak the white deposit wipes off. 

I could probably skip the brush step but it makes me feel useful while waiting on the next hop charge.

FWIW I build my brewing liquor from bottled distilled water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 08:30:32 am by BrewBama »

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 08:28:34 am »
After every brew day my electric Spike 30 gal. HLT with my Herms coil is covered with a whitish coating from the high water mark down. Is this normal? We have moderately hard water and I do put 1 Camden tablet in it plus my acid addition for the sparge. I've had to soak the heating element in vinegar water to get it shiny again.

My guess is that the whitish deposits on your Herms coil is from calcium carbonate (lime) deposits from hard water.  I am sure that Martin can also weigh in on this.  Have you had your waster tested to see how much carbonate is in it?  If it is city water, you should be able to gt a water report from the local water works telling you that.  If from a well, there are places that will test it for you like Ward Labs.  Full disclosure, I do not work for Ward Labs but have used them to test my well water which I can't brew with because it is too hard and had black manganese in it.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline kenack

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 08:56:03 am »
Thanks for all the responses and it is what I figured. Here is the Pinellas County water profile here in Florida
Calcium 76.8 ppm, Magnesium 5.90 ppm, Sodium 27.3 ppm, Sulfate 61.5 ppm, Chloride 26.1 ppm & Bicarbonate 177 ppm. I use this water for everything except Belgiums and Saisons.

Thanks!
Ken

Offline kenack

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 09:26:02 am »
pictures of the scale and my system

Ken

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 10:13:54 am »
Here’s a photo of my element from today’s brew. I decided not to scrub to see the effect of the B Bright.

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 11:13:26 am »
Here’s a photo of my element from today’s brew. I decided not to scrub to see the effect of the B Bright.

That fluff looks like Teig. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 12:16:18 pm »
It probably is. It comes off really easy. The underlying white deposit is a bit tougher but nothing out of line.