Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: RO water seems to be at 8 or 9 value on the test strip scale - odd?  (Read 1574 times)

Offline KCguy

• Assistant Brewer
Installed an RO system a few months back and have made about 14 beers with it.  Just today I pulled a fresh glassful and submerged a test strip and was surprised to see it with green flecks over an unchanged yellowish native color of the test strip, at 8/9 value according to the chart given with the strips.  I was under the impression RO water would be very neutral, eliminating the need to worry about much water chemistry.  Is this normal?  SHould I be adding 5.2 stabilizer or something to bring the water out of the alkaline range?  My city water is already at Alkalinity of 222, hardness 330. 

Most of my beers tend to taste a bit thin...could this be why?  Are the filters on my RO system already shot after 14 batches? 
Drinkin Tripels, Seeing Double, Feelin Single...

Michael B
Kansas City

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: RO water seems to be at 8 or 9 value on the test strip scale - odd?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 09:49:26 am »
No matter what else you do, don't use 5.2.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline KCguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 09:50:38 am »
yeah, I retired it. 

Michael B
Kansas City

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 10:02:38 am »
You should get a TDS meter. It's cheap.  Should get more than 90% of your original TDS, below 30 ppm as a guess for your water.
pH of good RO water is not important at all. If TDS is below 30 you are ok. My RO gives me about 8 ppm TDS.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 10:07:11 am »
Also, water chemistry is always important, but treatment of your mash water is different with RO vs your city water.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 10:34:27 am »
My guess is that you have some bicarbonate left, pulling the pH up. If you have 5 gallons, see how many drops of 10% phosphoric it takes to get to 7, then how many more to get to 6. It won't be many.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline KCguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 11:37:24 am »
My guess is that you have some bicarbonate left, pulling the pH up. If you have 5 gallons, see how many drops of 10% phosphoric it takes to get to 7, then how many more to get to 6. It won't be many.
yeah, bicarbs were 271 at ph 7.4 on city report...probably still high even though I commonly brew with a ratio of 5 gals RO + 2 gals of tap. 

Michael B
Kansas City

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 05:52:48 pm »
pH strips are very inaccurate in solutions with little ionic content. The reading is likely in error. Don’t concern yourself with water pH. It’s almost meaningless in brewing.

While RO water is a good starting point, you do still need to pay a bit of attention to brewing chemistry.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline KCguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 06:43:44 pm »
pH strips are very inaccurate in solutions with little ionic content. The reading is likely in error. Don’t concern yourself with water pH. It’s almost meaningless in brewing.

While RO water is a good starting point, you do still need to pay a bit of attention to brewing chemistry.

Oh, I wasnt thinking the reading was spot on...I knew the strips were vague.  I was just a bit alarmed to see it that far into the alk range, vague or not, its an indicator and I wasnt expecting it.  Wanted to make sure my preconceptions werent off 180. 

Michael B
Kansas City

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 06:51:23 am »

+1

The only pH I am ever concerned with is the mash pH after adding the grains and the pH of the sparge water to make sure that I do not extract tannins from the grain husks.
A good hand held pH meter is relatively inexpensive and will give you accurate readings.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 07:08:22 am »

+1

The only pH I am ever concerned with is the mash pH after adding the grains and the pH of the sparge water to make sure that I do not extract tannins from the grain husks.
A good hand held pH meter is relatively inexpensive and will give you accurate readings.
Even sparge water pH is not significant as long as the alkalinity is very low.  In other words, we are familiar with recommendations to acidify sparge water to below 6.0, or 5.5, or into the desired mash and wort pH range, or the like, but that is assuming natural water with alkalinity present which requires acidification to neutralize it.  If your sparge water is RO, or really anything with total alkalinity below, say, 25 ppm, a pH of 7.0 or a little more is no concern.   As with the mash water, the pH is not the point, it's the mineral content.  As long as there are minimal carbonate species to affect the residual buffering of the mash, pH will not rise excessively during the sparge.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 07:39:47 am »
You are right about the mash buffering during the sparge.  But since I am purist, I always acidify my sparge liquor to get close to the mash pH and keep the temp of the sparge liquor at around 168 degrees.

Yes, the mineral content of the mash is important, I agree, as is the proper pH range of the mash.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 12:05:39 pm »
You are right about the mash buffering during the sparge.  But since I am purist, I always acidify my sparge liquor to get close to the mash pH and keep the temp of the sparge liquor at around 168 degrees.

Yes, the mineral content of the mash is important, I agree, as is the proper pH range of the mash.

Goose, I'd say you were a traditionalist, not a purist.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 01:56:58 pm »
I ensure no alkalinity in the sparge, and completely ignore the temperature, though experience with my system tells me it probably hovers somewhere between 165°-185°F.   One less thing to keep on top of that doesn't ultimately make a difference.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 02:57:18 pm »

Goose, I'd say you were a traditionalist, not a purist.
OK, Denny.  I'll accept that

Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified